Peleton indoor riding advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My SIL does Spin at the gym rather a lot - it's not made her any good on a real bike though, she can ride a fair distance as a slow wobbly bob speed although it keeps her fit in between swimming. The're is also a bit of a 'social scene' with the spin groups - i.e. they go out.

Not for me - indoor is Zwift with lots of fans in a cool garage.

2 grand for the kit, 40 quid a month on subs. It’s not cheap. I guess that it’s a sign of the times that people would even entertain paying that much, for something they could get at a gym, for a fraction of the price.
They will get plenty of online likes though.
If only from the shareholders.

Personally speaking, I can’t do indoor riding at all ( unless I’m injured, or setting up a new build bike ). It’s got to be truly horrific outside to stop me riding, and in the last decade or so, I think there have been only a couple of occasions where I’ve considered it too risky to go out. Peloton, will not be gaining a subscriber here, neither will Zwift, or any other indoor ‘thing’.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Right-Mousetrap!
My 16yr old son is upstairs right now playing his xbox with his headset on speaking to his mates who are 5 miles away doing the same! The downside is the anti-social aspect of not meeting people but, as a protective parent in a time when stabbing is a daily occurrence, I am happy to not have him hanging around the shops/streets. However, I do think it is a marvellous idea for the poor people who are genuinely house bound through illness though. I like to go spinning occasionally myself and so can understand the addiction but, unless I was phobic, or had the time restrictions of being a single parent etc, I don't think that I could get motivate myself the same by doing it alone or against virtual opponents. Not a bad idea in theory but, personally I believe that actually getting out 'if you can' is better for your wellbeing and frame of mind.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My SIL does Spin at the gym rather a lot - it's not made her any good on a real bike though, she can ride a fair distance as a slow wobbly bob speed although it keeps her fit in between swimming. The're is also a bit of a 'social scene' with the spin groups - i.e. they go out.

Amazed your fans come to your garage to cheers you on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hold on.

Riding Peloton and having someone yell at you to get a move on is good.

Riding in the road and having motorists yell at you is bad.

Hhhhhmmmmm.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hold on.

Riding Peloton and having someone yell at you to get a move on is good.

Riding in the road and having motorists yell at you is bad.

Hhhhhmmmmm.

Yeh but that's the difference between being cheered on by Jane Fonda in a swim suit or Fat Bastard in a G string.

DRM

Guru

I do spin a couple of times a week, the thing is if you don’t increase the tension, you ain’t going to get stronger, I’ve watched others and every time the instructor says to turn it up, they don’t while I’ve had the thing with virtually the brake on, there’s one bloke turns up and I’ve yet to see him increase the tension.
But you’re right some of the women go and sit there talking all the way through.
if you do it right it does improve your riding.

BurningLegs

Veteran
As a “millennial” and someone who has done regular spin classes, virtual instructor led classes, and indoor training (Zwift), I have to say that the convenience of training at home is a great part of this type of service.

For some people, going out to the gym is a social. For others, spending hours on the road is how they get fit. I understand that. But there is a market where people don’t have much time to commit, but want to get/keep as fit as possible. As a father of a toddler, I’m in that group. I’ve chosen Zwift to train at home, but if I didn’t have it I would consider Peleton.

The main benefit for me is in getting the most training benefit from a very limited amount of time, at unpredictable moments. If I have an hour free I can just jump on. Don’t need a timetable or a booked slot, or to travel to the gym.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I can see the appeal, if only for the (admittedly very expensive) convenience of being able to take part in a group exercise at home for half an hour. Also, there are people who have a big disposal income and will think nothing of having a David Lloyd gym membership at £££££'s a month - these are the kind of people Peloton is mostly aimed at I would imagine.

As someone else said though, I can be shouted at on a bike for free every day of the week; I'm not paying someone £40 a month to do it.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
As a “millennial” and someone who has done regular spin classes, virtual instructor led classes, and indoor training (Zwift), I have to say that the convenience of training at home is a great part of this type of service.

For some people, going out to the gym is a social. For others, spending hours on the road is how they get fit. I understand that. But there is a market where people don’t have much time to commit, but want to get/keep as fit as possible. As a father of a toddler, I’m in that group. I’ve chosen Zwift to train at home, but if I didn’t have it I would consider Peleton.

The main benefit for me is in getting the most training benefit from a very limited amount of time, at unpredictable moments. If I have an hour free I can just jump on. Don’t need a timetable or a booked slot, or to travel to the gym.
Your lucky, when my two were small I was going to get one of those new fangled mtb things, not a chance, no time to go out on it & to be honest couldn’t afford to buy it, worse then that my parents had got rid of my Peugeot racer shortly before, thinking it was junk cluttering the garage up that I could have commuted on & saved a few quid, but I agree Zwift is great for anyone who’s time poor, as it was chucking it down on on Sunday I brought the turbo in & gave it a go, it certainly was a good work out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom