people who talk absolute b**llocks about the speed they cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Relive? Map My Ride? Wahoo? I’m sure there are others. It’s kind of like when you talk about this great car you bought on a car forum and someone says “Let’s see a picture.” If there’s no picture, it didn’t happen. Same goes here. If you want to brag about your speed, backit up with proof, otherwise it didn’t happen. And I really don’t know why someon wouldn’t have Strava. It’s freaking FREE! Maybe this thread has run it’s course.

I don't have freaking Strava.. :whistle:

Or any of the other stuff.
Alpine quest for a bit of digi mapping yes.
Free or no.

And I've been riding consistant, at completely unknown to me speeds for more decades than I care to mention.

I went into a lbs to replace a tail light I'd lost, up north on a multiday tour one time,

Chap there asked how far I'd been in the last few days.

He seemed almost offended that I didn't have a bike computer to give him the stats.

But he didn't seem at all interested in me showing him on the map, or seeing pictures of all the beautiful places I'd seen, and camped in.

Wierd :wacko:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I don't have freaking Strava.. :whistle:

Or any of the other stuff.
Alpine quest for a bit of digi mapping yes.
Free or no.

And I've been riding consistant, at completely unknown to me speeds for more decades than I care to mention.

I went into a lbs to replace a tail light I'd lost, up north on a multiday tour one time,

Chap there asked how far I'd been in the last few days.

He seemed almost offended that I didn't have a bike computer to give him the stats.

But he didn't seem at all interested in me showing him on the map, or seeing pictures of all the beautiful places I'd seen, and camped in.

Wierd :wacko:

But here's the thing. The supposition is that this person is bragging about how fast they are going. I don't see you doing that. You don't even know how fast you go. And you aren't bragging. So, no one is going to ask you prove something you aren't bragging about. My entire point is directed at the bragger. You're off the hook.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But here's the thing. The supposition is that this person is bragging about how fast they are going. I don't see you doing that. You don't even know how fast you go. And you aren't bragging. So, no one is going to ask you prove something you aren't bragging about. My entire point is directed at the bragger. You're off the hook.

Phew.. Off the hook :okay:

What do people hope to gain by bragging anyhow ??

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I don't talk bollards about the speed I ride at. I'll freely admit that my sound barrier attempt on a Raleigh Chopper in 1975 failed badly due to transonic buffeting and I only made it to 719MPH. Anyone who thinks an average speed of 25mph is worth boasting about should hang their heads in shame.

That’s nothing. I was once cycling when I got caught in the gravitational pull of a supermassive black pothole. I was accelerated to trans warp as space time folded, flung me out to a parallel Earth in another Universe. I’m still here.

Look. If you can’t ride a 20 mile loop in under and hour get off the thread! You’re not awesome enough.

And I’m not counting those who wear swimming trunks, with weird shaped handlebars and numbers painted on their legs (you know who you are). :headshake:

Leave this thread to us real mean (or non-men) to wave their willies (or other bits) in peace. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, I'm actually from the future, the year 2311 to be exact. I was cycling downhill on my Raleigh Chopper 4 when I went so fast that I went back in time to 2020.

You'll be please to know that ebikes are very popular in the 24th Century, Although the electrical assistance is restricted to 4mph and riders are compelled by law to wear a full suit or airbag armour and only ride over soft ground. It was 2044 before cycle helmets were conclusively proven to not only kill people in accidents, but to turn their wearers into serial killers, a quirk of the "anti-smug-knowitall" medicine infused into the polystyrene.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I have little interest in the subject, but I would expect average speed to include time spent in cafe.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't talk bollards about the speed I ride at. I'll freely admit that my sound barrier attempt on a Raleigh Chopper in 1975 failed badly due to transonic buffeting and I only made it to 719MPH. Anyone who thinks an average speed of 25mph is worth boasting about should hang their heads in shame.
oh dear you've just reminded me about a guy i used to work with... after first claiming that the Raleigh Chopper is the most comfortable bike ever made (which led me to wholeheartedly believe that he'd never ridden one), he went on to justify the 'comfort' claim by stating that his friend cycled from Durham to Heysham on one; a journey that would have been impossible unless the bike was so comfortable :wacko:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Look. If you can’t ride a 20 mile loop in under and hour get off the thread! You’re not awesome enough.

And I’m not counting those who wear swimming trunks, with weird shaped handlebars and numbers painted on their legs (you know who you are). :headshake:

Leave this thread to us real mean (or non-men) to wave their willies (or other bits) in peace. :whistle:

Oh OK,

And how did you know about the trunks ??

All those pics are behind a pay wall.

Enjoy yr d*ck swinging :okay::okay:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I can average 24.8 miles an hour (I would be lying if I said 25) and I spend most weekends sitting on my arse eating scones and drinking beer.

Admittedly I can't do this (1) for distances over 10 miles (2) consistently (3) where there's hills (4) on a normal bike without tribars (5) if it's windy (6) without being red-faced and with a frightening drool-beard hanging from my chin at the finish.

And it does look like I'm trying to insignificantize (great word!) that boast, true.

Update: I did go on to average more than 25 mph (under the circumstances originally described).

Now I'm mostly riding to work and to the shops but I can get a fair lick out of the Elephant Bike on the way to B&Q.

Top Bottom