people who talk absolute b**llocks about the speed they cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
why don't THEY come and beat ME if they're that desparate to prove themselves, or should I say if YOU'RE that desparate for them to prove themselves, as it happens I'm not.

Oh no, Bonj.

They are high achievers and they are fast. They aren't at all concerned about beating you.

FwIW, they prove themselves week in, week out. Check the BC national rankings if you want corroboration.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

great.

Johnny Thin

Everyone knows what their "best average" is - on a sunny, windless, perfect day in top fitness - but how often does that come about? I've only once averaged 19.5mph on my commute, in both directions, the rest of the time it's 17-18. I could keep up at least 20 all day if it was relatively flat and good weather, I don't tire or need a break until after 3-4 hours.

So if they really do "average 20" then what's their "best average"? There are some v v fit people around of course - the ones who got round the Elenith in 12 hours last year, for example. But I ride a 'bent and I've never been overtaken by ANYONE on the flat, and as I say 17-18 is my longterm average, so I just haven't met any of them yet.

And the track standards are pathetic, these are the people who'll strap their bikes to their car and drive home, totally irrelevant for 'real' cycling.

Jaded

Dave5N said:
Oh dear...

such a grasp of cycling culture and history...

Indeed, even back in 1873, people strapped their bikes to their Porsche Gayennes and set off in search of the perfect timber oval.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Bloody hell, you don't listen, do you.

It's outdoors and it's tarmac and it's windy. FFS.

if it's in a stadium i doubt it's that windy. And there certainly isn't any traffic lights to have to accelerate from again.

kbruh

.. followed by yet more attempts to insignificantise the boast.

Came to this page from Google search for whether 'insignificantise' was a word or not. I was trying to nut out a project starting from a small central item within gradually increasingly sized items. I hadnt even got halfway through when I realised the increasingly larger sized items would quickly insignificantise the original central item. While dissappointed that I couldnt claim bragging rights on the word, I was happy to see it in usage. Congratulations sir WordMaster 🖒😊👏

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
One needs to get these things in proportion. For example, if I go out for a quick 50, on a good day I will break the world record and on a bad day I will be a bit outside it. It leads to a certain satisfaction. Of course, the world record in question is for the 100… but the pleasure is just as great.

Top Bottom