people who talk absolute b**llocks about the speed they cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I was hoping that we were seeing the return of bonj.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can only go fast down hills now. My average speed on the flat is around 14mph.
Too old to go fast.:laugh:
I started cycling again in 1989 after a 20 year break; I was 33 years old.

I found that year's diary earlier this week and it has details of all of my rides in that first year of adult cycling. I was pretty shocked to find that my speeds in the first week were already what they are now... I am back where I started from! (My range is a lot greater now though - up to 6 or 7 times as far.)

I have no problems doing 8 miles an hour even 10. Riding with 4 large panniers full of firewood. I can go even faster on my electric bike pulling a trailer full of firewood....I don't though as I find if I brake to hard the trailer overtakes me. Not nice

Time to hit the ignore button.

keithmac

Guru
I've read through this thread for some strange reason.

All I can say it's like 1/4 mile drag racing, there's those that do it and have a fair idea what a certain car will do (educated guess so to speak).

Then there's those that turn up and make a complete arse of it and believe everyone else's timeslips are lies because theirs isn't as good as they think it should be!.

johnnyb47

Guru
I don't see any problems with people talking about there average speeds. The reason they do is usually because they feel they've achieved a goal and there proud of there progress. There's nothing wrong in sharing it with others.
Avg speeds are very subjective though. Yesterday i managed an 81 mile ride out (really felt it today) and the out bound route of 40 miles i averaged 19.9 mph, which to me is record breaking. I had a really good tail wind which pushed me along. Coming back though was a different story. A strong head wind and hot temperatures slowed me right down. Overall i managed an avg of 16.9 mph.
If you're cycling cross country instead of looping back to the start of a ride i can imagine high avg speed's could easily be achieved with favourable tail winds pushing behind you all day.
I find it interesting to see and read what others do in there average speeds as it inspires me to know there's still more improvement to be had.

MntnMan62

Über Member
If someone boasts about their speed and someone thinks they are full of it, why not just ask them to prove it? With Relive and Strava it’s easy to back up your boasts......or show how much you are lying. For the record I just rode at a 12 mph pace yesterday and I’m dang proud of it, given how fat I am and have only been riding consistently for 7 weeks. I can prove it with my Strava record. If someone says they averaged some crazy mph/Kph just ask to see their Strava. Easy Peasy.

classic33

Leg End Member
If someone boasts about their speed and someone thinks they are full of it, why not just ask them to prove it? With Relive and Strava it’s easy to back up your boasts......or show how much you are lying. For the record I just rode at a 12 mph pace yesterday and I’m dang proud of it, given how fat I am and have only been riding consistently for 7 weeks. I can prove it with my Strava record. If someone says they averaged some crazy mph/Kph just ask to see their Strava. Easy Peasy.
And if they don't do strava?

MntnMan62

Über Member
And if they don't do strava?

Relive? Map My Ride? Wahoo? I’m sure there are others. It’s kind of like when you talk about this great car you bought on a car forum and someone says “Let’s see a picture.” If there’s no picture, it didn’t happen. Same goes here. If you want to brag about your speed, backit up with proof, otherwise it didn’t happen. And I really don’t know why someon wouldn’t have Strava. It’s freaking FREE! Maybe this thread has run it’s course.

Top Bottom