pet peeves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Over The Hill said:
I will try my best if Arch is checking (although I would write: "wash the car: If I had a car.")

That's a good point. My sig is actually something I said once, with a clear pause before the "If I had a car" which was an afterthought, so I punctuate that way, but your way would be alright too. I can deal with differences in writing style and 'voice' - I know I tend to over use commas for example, and my boss is trying to cut down on using dashes like they are the only key left on the keyboard. But I like to think the person writing knows the correct way, even if they chose to write in another way for effect or emphasis. It's like Les Dawson on the piano - you can't play badly, and make it funny, unless you can actually play properly. If you just play badly, it's just noise.

Arch said:
That's a good point. My sig is actually something I said once, with a clear pause before the "If I had a car" which was an afterthought, so I punctuate that way, but your way would be alright too. I can deal with differences in writing style and 'voice' - I know I tend to over use commas for example, and my boss is trying to cut down on using dashes like they are the only key left on the keyboard. But I like to think the person writing knows the correct way, even if they chose to write in another way for effect or emphasis. It's like Les Dawson on the piano - you can't play badly, and make it funny, unless you can actually play properly. If you just play badly, it's just noise.

That makes sense now Arch, thanks. I cannot imagine the baby Elephant conversation that finished like that!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Over The Hill said:
That makes sense now Arch, thanks. I cannot imagine the baby Elephant conversation that finished like that!

When I shared a student house a few years ago now, three of us would sit and watch telly together, esp David Attenborough programmes. I was always falling for some cute thing or other, and saying I wanted one as a pet - it got to be an in-joke. Eventually, the others said I couldn't have all these pets unless they helped out around the house, doing suitable tasks - giraffes cleaning high windows, squirrels tidying the cupboards with their grasping hands and neat storage habits... When challenged on the baby elephant, I said it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

And it sort of stuck...:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
miloat said:
I have a soft spot for baby elephants as well.

You are in good company - there are a few people on here who go soppy over baby heffalumps. In fact three of us are meeting up with the intention of going to visit one!

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Baby hippos are fantastic as well.

simonali

Guru
Chuffy said:
People who can't bear to let their foul brats wait a second longer for their hourly dose of e-numbers and sugar and wander around the supermarket merrily opening packets of Haribo and Space Raiders

This annoys me too, but one can only assume they pay for the emptied packets at the till. I have, however, seen people feeding their kids grapes going round the store and as these are paid for by weight they're basically stealing, aren't they?! :thumbsup:

gbb

Legendary Member
QUOTE=Arch;219409]You are in good company - there are a few people on here who go soppy over baby heffalumps. In fact three of us are meeting up with the intention of going to visit one![/QUOTE]

Heres one for you Arch :thumbsup:
SWMBO circa 1963, Bristol Zoo (she's the little one atop the elephant BTW :smile: )
me001.jpg
[

longers

Legendary Member
simonali said:
I have, however, seen people feeding their kids grapes going round the store and as these are paid for by weight they're basically stealing, aren't they?! :smile:

I used to snap the stalks off peppers when buying them to save money. I don't think I saved very much though :thumbsup:.

gbb

Legendary Member
longers said:
I used to snap the stalks off peppers when buying them to save money. I don't think I saved very much though :thumbsup:.

I always snap off the really thin useless bits off Parsnips, you'd throw them away anyway.
What do you (and i )save ?...not your dignity i suspect :smile: :biggrin:

Top Bottom