pet peeves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
miloat said:
Deciding nows the time to sort out all those recites after you've bought your items.

"Receipts" dear...

And "now's"

Anyone have language pedants as pet peeve?:biggrin: To be fair, as a professional proofreader (well, it's what I got paid to do today:biggrin:), it's a habit that's hard to break.

Arch

Married to Night Train
miloat said:
Sorry curse my silly head.

:biggrin:

I'm sorry, I try to let that stuff wash over me these days, but I'd got into the habit. If it's any consolation, I pulled an extraneous comma from one of my own book reviews earlier...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
People who get to the top or the bottom of the escalator, then stop dead, so that they can decide which way to go next. Ditto people who do that when they get out of lifts, buses, trains etc etc. Do they not have the brains to realise other people wish to move forward, and that they could move to the left or the right and then make their decision.
:biggrin:

:sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The word fresh being completely overused and out of context.
Drivers using mobile phones illegally.
Music.
Religious people who are overly obsessed with secondary issues and going on about them to bash other people.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
That and the way cashiers seem to be trained thsees days not to start the next persons stuff through until the last person is fully clear. I mean, you don't want stuff mixed up, I know, but ...
Whatever happened to those slidy divider things, to comaprtmentalise the bit where you do your bagging? Eh? Eh? I blame the govingment and the bbc.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Arch said:
"Receipts" dear...

And "now's"

Anyone have language pedants as pet peeve?;) To be fair, as a professional proofreader (well, it's what I got paid to do today:biggrin:), it's a habit that's hard to break.

yep, i hate it when people say something like "can you borrow me a fiver"

it's LEND you feckwit. and no i can't

Abitrary

miloat said:
Cats that look like baby cows.

I know those ones! I was just thinking the same the other day. You always see them cycling through malnourished poorer areas.

They've got sort of thin jowls, bandy legs and sometimes look a bit cross eyed.

I will try my best if Arch is checking (although I would write: "wash the car: If I had a car.")

My pet hate....
Some new cars seem to have different direction indicators that go on very quickly and then off very quickly (LED?), not flashing faster but sort of quicker for the bulb to warm up. That is really annoying for me, but I don't know why!!

Strangely I hate people picking me up on my spelling but also hate it when I see people spell badly or use the wrong word.

Around here (Hampshire) locals seem to say Bertato instead of Potato which makes me want to correct them.

Car drivers when I am on my bike and bike riders when I am in my car.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Arch said:
Anyone have language pedants as pet peeve?;)
Oh yes, don't get me started on that one! :blush:

Too late. :biggrin:

Daughter in Nursery, learning the intricasies of language along with other skills to last her her entire life... and what do they (try to) arm her with?

- I don't want none :ohmy:
- Can I lend your toy? :biggrin:
- It is, 'in't it (not even sure how to spell that one, but she surely won't be able to understand that it is an abbreviated form of 'is not' if they don't pronounce the 's' somewhere in there) :sad:
- We was going...

<sigh> I feel like a picky parent when I correct her, but it is noticeable when her friends come over to play and they have parents who don't correct them.

The words are 'this' and 'that' not 'dis' and 'dat' - give me strength!! ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Actually, upon reading Arch's comment it would seem she's asking if people are angered by people like me who have peeves about language misuse... ;)

Ooops! ;)

Top Bottom