Petition to Shimano to introduce cassettes starting with 14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
I use a 46 30 compact

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Typically the bigger jumps between gears are at the larger end of the cassette, so why not a 11-23 or 11-25 cassette with 2 or 3 teeth off of the chainring? That way the whole drivetrain is smaller and lighter (and cheaper?).
Yes, but I'd still be stuck with 11 and 12t sprockets which I never use. Like a great many people my days of chewing the stem are gone and I'd rather have a range of usable gears with a couple of dinner plates for the longer and steeper climbs. I've never had to walk down a hill because my gears were too low.

andrew_s

Legendary Member

CXRAndy

Guru
I use the 11t with a 48t chainring. I can use it on the flat around 70rpm, even faster with a group ride

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I use the 11t with a 48t chainring. I can use it on the flat around 70rpm, even faster with a group ride
Good for you but I am not trying to take it away from you.
Fairly common setup on most of the new bikes includes 50x11 gear.
At 80rpm (not high by any margain) pushes you at over 30mph.
I mean if I could sustain that without a hurricane blowing from behind on a flat I would be racing competitively but I can't so I would like an option of a tighter spaced cassette that's not twice as expensive as standard shimano one

Stompier

The main market for cassettes ending at 13 or 14 is for junior racing, where they aren't allowed to use gears higher than whatever the limit is.

6.93m (52/16) for Youth A/U16 and 7.93m (52/14) for junior

To the OP, yes a Miche cassette might cost slightly more - but things for which there are generally less demand generally do cost more. If Shimano made one, it would be a similar price for the same likely reasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom