Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
People why TYPE with seemingly RANDOM WORDS in capital LETTERS.

We are NOT STUPID, we can READ, and research HAS shown that such UNNECESSARY use of capitals actually makes it LESS LIKELY that the message will be read and properly understood, so you are causing the opposite effect OF that which you INTENDED.

Do these people speak like that as well?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks, I thought that didn't look right, I have edited it but omitted your capital T.

Glad to be of help :okay:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I used to work for a corporate and some of the meetings were excruciatingly dull so a friend and I tried to liven things up by inventing "corporate speak".

My personal favourite was when I introduced "Let's park that in the ideas fridge and we can snack on it later"

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

We are NOT STUPID, we can READ, and research HAS shown that such UNNECESSARY use of capitals actually makes it LESS LIKELY that the message will be read and properly understood, so you are causing the opposite effect OF that which you INTENDED.

Who knows??

But here's another one.

People who punctuate their posts (not here so much) with multiple laughing-til-they-cry emojis.

I suppose it's quite a useful shorthand for

"I have no rational, thought through response to you point, so I will attempt to belittle you, or deflect with these silly little faces, instead"

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
"LGBTQ+..."

I'm a big supporter of the rights of people to live whatever lifestyle they so choose and with whom they choose, but the rate at which the acronym is expanding is making it hard to keep track of. How long before it's the entire alphabet but in a different order, with a few mathematical symbols randomly chucked in? Stop saying it, you're only making it worse!
get with the times Drago... it's LGBTGQ+

Lesbian, gay, bi, trans, ginger, questioning, plus ^_^

"LGBTQ+..."

I'm a big supporter of the rights of people to live whatever lifestyle they so choose and with whom they choose, but the rate at which the acronym is expanding is making it hard to keep track of. How long before it's the entire alphabet but in a different order, with a few mathematical symbols randomly chucked in? Stop saying it, you're only making it worse!
It's weird how different people have different limits on how many letters this acronym should have. LGBTQIA+ is roughly mine, some say it is exclusionary, and even the definition of Q is divisive. Some say it means "queer", others "questioning". Any man who has ever looked at Brian Blessed automatically falls under the umbrella of "questioning" so I'm not sure how useful a term that is.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have transphobes like those who call themselves the "LGB Alliance" who purport to be supportive of those who spent centuries being erased, criminalised and subjected to violence and murder, clamouring for the erasure of trans folks.

Julia9054

Guru

YES!!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
OMG

Why do Americans insist in saying it about everything? 🙄

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Have you been reading The Sun again?

Venod

Eh up
OMG

Why do Americans insist in saying it about everything? 🙄
The brings to mind another one, the youngest grandaughter likes watching youtube videos called best day ever that feature a young family with a daughter called Adley, one of the parents often repeated sayings is,
"Holy Cow"
I don't know how common this is in USA but they use it to an annoying extent.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
“Man up”

Unbelievably, I heard this used this morning by my neighbour. Her 6 yr old son was having one of his regular screaming tantrums when she shouted at him, “Man up!”. What kind of parent uses that on a child?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Whereas everything seems to be "lush" around Bristol.

Anybody ever come into contact with Weegies (Glaswegians)? Ever get amused hearing how everything is "Pure dead brilliant"? Hearing the different ways of ending sentences such as "So ah did, so ah will" and the perennial "but" as a full stop.

"Ah went oot on the bike the other day so ah did and it was pure dead brilliant so it was but"

Top Bottom