Physical Security V Deterrent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

I have noticed that there has been plenty of threads started about the best way to secure your bike when away from home using large locks and chains. Great in public places where thiefs don't have much time. In the confines of a shed, garage or back garden then they have all the time in the world and there isn't much a battery grinder won't cut through so maybe a deterrent is better than physical security

Here are the things I have used now and in the past to protect my home rather than just a big padlock.

700 Lines security cameras attached to a hardrive recorder, runs 24/7. I can view mine on my mobile anytime and receive text alerts if a zone is triggered. Put signs up to advise they are being recorded also stops the snoopers.

Cheap burglar alarm with loud sirens mounted inside your shed or garage. If they gain entry the noise from the alarm is that loud you cannot stay inside the building.

You could even break down your bike/s remove the back wheel and the saddle and store them indoors away from the frame. Not really worth steeling part of a bike is it?

Anyone have any other methods of deterring thiefs?

Paul

I always tell everyone that there's only one 100% burglar detergent. A large dog that barks. It doesn't need to bite as long as it sounds like it would!

With bikes this does of course involve being able to keep your bike somewhere said dog is/has access to as well!

classic33

Leg End Member
I always tell everyone that there's only one 100% burglar detergent. A large dog that barks. It doesn't need to bite as long as it sounds like it would!

With bikes this does of course involve being able to keep your bike somewhere said dog is/has access to as well!

Hows a large dog or any dog for that matter going to clean a burglar. Lick them to death?
Also why should the dog want to clean a burglar?

Back onto the question asked. I used an electric fence box(battery powered) wired to the door handle. Moving the handle without first knocking the fence off. Done by use of a key through the keyhole on the door.
The only time it was ever put to the test/called upon was gone two in the morning. Noise heard outside so I took a look, saw what was happenning. Went back inside & whilst waiting for the kettle to boil called the police to let them know what was happenning and that he wouldn't be going anywere soon. Two officers turned up before the kettle was boiled, preventing me from making a cuppa, & I'd to prevent them from touching him. Nearly arrested for coming out of the house with apick axe handle to knock his hand of the handle, only dry bit of wood to hand. Wet night.

Linford

Hows a large dog or any dog for that matter going to clean a burglar. Lick them to death?
Also why should the dog want to clean a burglar?

Back onto the question asked. I used an electric fence box(battery powered) wired to the door handle. Moving the handle without first knocking the fence off. Done by use of a key through the keyhole on the door.
The only time it was ever put to the test/called upon was gone two in the morning. Noise heard outside so I took a look, saw what was happenning. Went back inside & whilst waiting for the kettle to boil called the police to let them know what was happenning and that he wouldn't be going anywere soon. Two officers turned up before the kettle was boiled, preventing me from making a cuppa, & I'd to prevent them from touching him. Nearly arrested for coming out of the house with apick axe handle to knock his hand of the handle, only dry bit of wood to hand. Wet night.

This sounds like a good plan with a mains AC current between a couple of electrodes (you'd have a bit of explaining to do), but I use electric fence energisers to keep horses and cattle apart in fields (kept on a working farm), and they need to give a very good kick to get 1/2 tonne animals to respect them, but they go click,click,click as they discharge so would be obvious that something is going on. Sure they hurt like hell when the ground is wet and are well earthed, but they would make you jump back, and not pin you to the spot. You'd only get one zap unless you got tangled up somehow in it - useful on top of a fence though, but might kill a small animal.

There is also the real risk that you or your loved ones could inadvertently fall foul of your own contraption.

Anyone have any other methods of deterring thiefs?

Paul

I keep mine in the house lol^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Door handle & lock were there for effect only. I decided to make use of them. Everything internal so it couldn't be tampered with from the outside.
Instalation was inspected by the two officers & aside from there being no warning sign it was ok. Warning sign later fitted & then some bugger pinched that.

You could always try the above setup for yourself. Its partly to do with the mindset, a single bare wire you'd be wary off. But if you wanted to get the door open, you'd have to have a secure hold on the handle.

Not my idea by the way. Got it from a farmer who used a mains fence after the shed was broken into.

al78

Guru
I just keep my bikes inside the house.

A passing thief is most likely going to pinch the bikes next door, which often get left unsecured at the front of their house.

Top Bottom