Ping Colin - KFC hot wings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Fossy - Gaz has been living on Haribos, Doritos and chocolate for 27 years. As far as I can tell, he hasn't actually been eating any food at all, let alone cooking anything!

Sad, but very true mate
blush.gif

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm going to try and scare you now Gaz, in case your doctor hasn't already ...!

Let's assume about 150 calories per glass of orange juice. That means your daily intake is about 1,600 calories. That's way below what a man of your height and build needs to maintain his weight, even without the cycling.

Okay, you say that you have an underactive thyroid gland, so your metabolism may be pretty sluggish, but you are tearing about on your bike most days using up quite a lot of calories. I reckon that means that you are effectively still on a crash diet. We discussed that a couple of weeks ago. You are going to end up very underweight.

Okay, it's how you lost 27-odd stone of fat, but you don't now have great masses of fat to lose, so the missing calories have to come from somewhere else - and that somewhere else is muscle tissue. Your body will effectively start digesting your muscles. That is the body's defence mechanism when faced with starvation. The muscle calories keep you going, and the decrease in the amount of muscle lowers your metabolic rate so you don't need so many calories to stay alive.

Now the really scary thing is ... what is your heart? Yep, it's a muscle and one that you can ill afford to digest, but that's what you could be facing a few months down the line.

Don't take my word for it - I know LIVESTRONG is important to you, well, read this page!

You need to stop losing weight now, and that means that you need to get your daily calorie intake up. It is woefully inadequate. I know that you are trying to eat new types of food, but in the mean time, please eat more of the things you already like!

You are, of course, correct , by eating the nuts, my weight loss does seem to have slowed RIGHT down to almost nothing, but its still headed south slowly, I understand everything your saying and will take it on board, but its baby steps right now, I wont jump to my full calorie allowance, just incase, but I will look to slowly build things up, im aware what I am doing is wrong, I just need professional help to change it

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Good post thanks

My daily diet is now

5 x baked ( low fat 90 cals). Crisps . 450 cals

1 x reggae reggae cashew nuts, 500 cals

1 x biggest loser meal bar, 200 cals

2-3 glasses of fresh orange

That's yer lot

That is really scary. Also you seem to be starving yourself all day and then consuming 90% of you calories in the evening, even this is not healthy. Why not spread it out a bit?

lulubel

Über Member
I'm thinking about getting calorie intake up here, not necessarily eating behaviour that's best in the long term ....

How about trying some bread? Preferably freshly baked from a local bakery, or the supermarket bakery in a big supermarket. Small bakeries generally have fresh bread in the mornings, but supermarkets bake all day, so they have fresh bread at any time.

Fresh bread is delicious, and I can quite happily just break chunks off a loaf and eat it without anything on it. It's also a good source of carbohydrate to give you energy for cycling.

Wholegrain (brown with bits in) is best for overall health because it gives you a steady flow of energy. White bread releases its energy quickly, so you get a short "buzz" after you eat it, but it doesn't last long.

And once you've discovered bread, there are so many wonderful things you can do with it to start creating meals.

VamP

Banned
I appreciate that I am only just beginning to appreciate the magnitude of the difficulties that you face with food on a daily basis. ColinJ is making some really good observations and suggestions, and I think you know this.

What I think you need to find is a solid, reliable and healthy staple, that you are happy to eat anytime and that you can then build on going forward. Rice, oats, wholemaeal bread, baked potato would all make great platforms for transforming your eating. Rice would be my preferred suggestion - and it is nearly flavourless, so you could add flavours that you like (hot and spicy I believe you mentioned as being something that works for you).

The great thing about rice is that it's nearly perfect food in terms of nutritional composition, so that would cover your essential needs right there in one food, as I gather introducing new foods is challenging.

Good luck!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are, of course, correct , by eating the nuts, my weight loss does seem to have slowed RIGHT down to almost nothing, but its still headed south slowly, I understand everything your saying and will take it on board, but its baby steps right now, I wont jump to my full calorie allowance, just incase, but I will look to slowly build things up, im aware what I am doing is wrong, I just need professional help to change it
Why not set yourself a +/- 2 pounds window around your current weight? If you lose 2 pounds from that then the alarm bells are ringing and you could increase your nut intake to (say) 3 bags a day until your weight has gone back up again. If you then overshoot your current weight, reduce the nut intake back to one bag a day and your weight should slowly fall again.

You don't need to panic about your weight going up because you know damn well that you can get it down quickly again. Stick within that weight 'window' and you will avoid slipping down into anorexia or getting fat again.

Of course, the long term aim is to phase out the snacks and phase in proper food which is what you are trying to do now.

By the way - have you tried Brazil nuts? I really love them. The selenium in them is very good for you. Eating just a few a day can greatly reduce your risk of prostate cancer. If you find that you like them, then they would make an ideal snack. You could carry them in your pocket and just eat one an hour to help keep the hunger at bay. (You can get them still shelled but it's a big faff to crack them open. Just buy a bag of ready shelled nuts.)

fimm

Veteran
... I wont jump to my full calorie allowance, just incase, ....

Just in case of what?
?
?
?

I think both ColinJ and VamP have made excellent suggestions. Didn't you also say that you can drink milk? Why not add some of that to your diet?

Garz

Squat Member
Good post thanks

My daily diet is now

5 x baked ( low fat 90 cals). Crisps . 450 cals

1 x reggae reggae cashew nuts, 500 cals

1 x biggest loser meal bar, 200 cals

2-3 glasses of fresh orange

That's yer lot

Woah!

Tons of sugar in there chiefly from the fresh orange. Don't ditch it but limit it to every other day for vit c benefits.

I admit the reggae reggae cashews are tasty and the wife buys them so will allow that (not a whole pack in the day though).

laugh.gif

Get in porridge for your breakfast. No excuses these days with the 'paw ridge' sachets that you can add milk to and microwave up in a minute or two.

Unsalted mixed nuts are ok, but don't consume more than a handful a day. For carbs a jacket spud or pasta is plenty fuel for a pre-ride meal. Post ride you need good protein prefferably from fresh fish or a protein shake supplement.

First goal should be to eat healthy all day and consume a not so healthy but tasty tea-time meal. When you nail this you can start playing with what food combo's work well for you and eat the energy providing boosty meals on riding days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Woah!

Tons of sugar in there chiefly from the fresh orange. Don't ditch it but limit it to every other day for vit c benefits.

I admit the reggae reggae cashews are tasty and the wife buys them so will allow that (not a whole pack in the day though).

laugh.gif

Get in porridge for your breakfast. No excuses these days with the 'paw ridge' sachets that you can add milk to and microwave up in a minute or two.

Unsalted mixed nuts are ok, but don't consume more than a handful a day. For carbs a jacket spud or pasta is plenty fuel for a pre-ride meal. Post ride you need good protein prefferably from fresh fish or a protein shake supplement.

First goal should be to eat healthy all day and consume a not so healthy but tasty tea-time meal. When you nail this you can start playing with what food combo's work well for you and eat the energy providing boosty meals on riding days.
Garz - you are obviously not up to speed on this ... Believe it or not, Gaz's list above is actually his new, improved diet. You need to read back over this thread, other similar ones, and especially Gaz's blog!

To summarise - Gaz didn't ever eat food at all - any food, just 3 specific types of snacks/sweets. There seem to be quite a few people who know about his dramatic weight loss, but have somehow missed the story of his SED or Selective Eating Disorder. It's a real eye-opener. He's struggling to take on one new food item at a time. Those nuts were one such new item and a little victory for him.

So, advice which would be correct for someone with a half-decent diet isn't really right for Gaz now. As his phobia of food diminishes, then I'm sure he will be desperate to know all about quality food and how to cook it, but for now, OJ and bags of Reggae Reggae cashew nuts are better for him than the Haribos and Doritos he was surviving on before!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Garz - you are obviously not up to speed on this ... Believe it or not, Gaz's list above is actually his new, improved diet. You need to read back over this thread, other similar ones, and especially Gaz's blog!

To summarise - Gaz didn't ever eat food at all - any food, just 3 specific types of snacks/sweets. There seem to be quite a few people who know about his dramatic weight loss, but have somehow missed the story of his SED or Selective Eating Disorder. It's a real eye-opener. He's struggling to take on one new food item at a time. Those nuts were one such new item and a little victory for him.

So, advice which would be correct for someone with a half-decent diet isn't really right for Gaz now. As his phobia of food diminishes, then I'm sure he will be desperate to know all about quality food and how to cook it, but for now, OJ and bags of Reggae Reggae cashew nuts are better for him than the Haribos and Doritos he was surviving on before!

Couldn't have put it any better myself mate, thanks

Gaz

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
has your gp referred to to primary or secondary mental health services? from what i have read you seem to be suffering a mental health problem which is seriously impacting on your life (and no doubt your loved ones). i have seen sed lead, unfortunately to death. please go to your gp and demand to be referred to primary / secondary mental health services.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
has your gp referred to to primary or secondary mental health services? from what i have read you seem to be suffering a mental health problem which is seriously impacting on your life (and no doubt your loved ones). i have seen sed lead, unfortunately to death. please go to your gp and demand to be referred to primary / secondary mental health services.

Yup

Had my first appt a week ago , I've got issues , I'm starting To size them up to tackle them !!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Gaz

If you like it spicy, try my tandoori chicken from the recipe thread. I know you don't cook at the moment, but the sense of achievement from getting something simple and tasty together is huge. If you like it really spicy add a half teaspoon of chilli powder to the marinade. You don't have to BBQ them by the way, just leave them to bake for half an hour, then check to make sure they're cooked through.

The Co-op do packs of ready to eat spicy wings that aren't deep fried. In fact, we use them in this household as a tasty low-carb snack. Give them a try.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz

If you like it spicy, try my tandoori chicken from the recipe thread. I know you don't cook at the moment, but the sense of achievement from getting something simple and tasty together is huge. If you like it really spicy add a half teaspoon of chilli powder to the marinade. You don't have to BBQ them by the way, just leave them to bake for half an hour, then check to make sure they're cooked through.

The Co-op do packs of ready to eat spicy wings that aren't deep fried. In fact, we use them in this household as a tasty low-carb snack. Give them a try.

A friend of mine seems to agree

I have 2 new foods lined up for tomorrow, I hope I dont bottle it, but I have a good feeling, then after tomorrow IF all goes well, then i can look to be more adventurous

Top Bottom