Pitlochry to Fort William and beyond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm planning a short trip to Scotland in early September. Current plan is to cycle up from Edinburgh to visit a friend who lives a little south of Pitlochry.Then I would like to head over to Fort William and do some cycling along the west coast (including possibly Skye or Mull)

I'm currently trying to work out the best way of getting from Pitlochry to Fort William. The options appear to be:

1. Go north up the N7 and then cut over to the A86
2. So south west along the N7 to Killin and then pick up the A85
3. Cycle along Loch Rannoch on the B846 as far as Rannoch station - and then take the train into Fort William

Would prefer to avoid very busy roads, though I assume none of the roads have a huge amount of traffic. Would welcome any thoughts people have on the merits of the different routes

Also if anyone can suggest some options for a three day short tour from Fort William that would be much appreciated.

outlash

also available in orange
Never cycled up there but I can highly recommend the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse for a visit. Stunning roads and scenery, even for the West Highlands and also the most westerly point on the british mainland.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
You have also the option of the A82 through Glen Coe.

Going out to Rannoch and getting a train is for sure the quietest way, but most of the double digit a roads in the Highlands are in my experience perfectly fine to ride.

Personally, I would probably take option 2 or 3, depending on time available.

For your bonus days I would suggest heading down to Mull - you can do a great loop using the Lochaline-Fishnish and Tobermory-Kilchoan ferries. To get across Loch Linnhe you can use the Corran Ferry, but there is also a small ferry across from Fort William to Camusnagaul, which lets you avoid the A82. This only runs a handful of times a day, though.

The A86 from Carrbridge to Fort William is technically a major road but I don't recall much traffic on it until after Spean Bridge when it joins up with the A82 and approaches Fort William from the north-east.
The NCN7 surface out of Pitlochry is not great over Drumochter Pass but at least it's traffic free as far as Dalwhinnie (and then it's an incredible road surface all the way to the Laggan turn-off)

3. Cycle along Loch Rannoch on the B846 as far as Rannoch station - and then take the train into Fort William
This one depends on the time of year. The route past queen's view can be awful to cycle, but once you have potentially walked the 25% incline out of Pitlochry there is an alternative which if the south side of loch tummel and then north side or south side of loch Rannoch which are both very quiet roads. In both cases the road on the south side of the 2 lochs are the quieter, narrower roads but both are wonderful roads to cycle. One point to note though is the pedestrain bridge down onto the platform at Rannoch station. Leave yourself plenty of time to unload your bike and carry it down. The step up onto the train is also usually very great as well.

The area is one I ride regularly and in the travelogues address plus my cgoab account there are plenty of photos of the types of roads and views along both sides of loch Rannoch and the south side of loch tummel. North side of loch tummel has a tendency during tourist season to be to unsafe to stop ime.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Hi Danny, I've toured around that area before. Routes and places I would recommend are: -
  • Go SW along N7 and stop off at the Scottish Crannog Centre near the Easten End on Loch Tay. Well worth a visit and the talk/demonstration
  • Continue to Killin and then turn back NE along the top edge of Loch Tay
  • If you're camping stop at Cruachan Farm (or B&B back towards Killin)
  • Just past the farm and camp site there's a turn on the left to take you up past the shoulder of Ben Lawers, Ben Lawers dam and Lochan na Lairigie
  • Big climb up but the reward is The Bridge of Balgie and Glen Lyon Post Office where you can get tea and moist delicious cake (I recommend their famous almond and pistachio tart)
  • Then cycle East along the beautiful Glen Lyon until you reach Coshiville and turn left (north) on the B846
  • Further up (several miles) take a left onto the road which takes you past Schiehallion (mountain), a particularly isolated mountain pass with great views north
  • This will bring you to Kinnloch Rannoch (for B&B) or continue along the south edge of Loch Rannoch for a National Trust camp site in the forest
  • Then another magnificent lonely ride up to Ronnoch Moor and the station

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Hi Danny, I've toured around that area before. Routes and places I would recommend are: -
  • Go SW along N7 and stop off at the Scottish Crannog Centre near the Easten End on Loch Tay. Well worth a visit and the talk/demonstration
  • Just past the farm and camp site there's a turn on the left to take you up past the shoulder of Ben Lawers, Ben Lawers dam and Lochan na Lairigie
  • Big climb up but the reward is The Bridge of Balgie and Glen Lyon Post Office where you can get tea and moist delicious cake (I recommend their famous almond and pistachio tart)
  • Then cycle East along the beautiful Glen Lyon until you reach Coshiville and turn left (north) on the B846
  • Further up (several miles) take a left onto the road which takes you past Schiehallion (mountain), a particularly isolated mountain pass with great views north
  • This will bring you to Kinnloch Rannoch (for B&B) or continue along the south edge of Loch Rannoch for a National Trust camp site in the forest
Thanks - that's quite a wiggly route but sounds like it would be worth doing.

Two punctures I got on that stretch.
I thought I was a gonner coming the other way with a big tailwind. Riding on a lovely stretch of tarmac at > 35mph when it suddenly disintegrated.

Lochan na Lairige is a stunning road. I tried to persuade some of CC Ecosse that it was worth the detour but I think they'd have killed me if I'd insisted :laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Of course the important question is whether @Danny will get out of rural Scotland alive, given his well-publicised support for unionism and the Labour party.

Of course the important question is whether @Danny will get out of rural Scotland alive, given his well-publicised support for unionism and the Labour party.
We're very tolerant of people with different viewpoints up here, even when they are objectively wrong :okay:

Top Bottom