Pizza Ovens ( outdoor )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want one, not just for pizzas, its a wood fired oven and very, very hot unlike anything below self cleaning setting on a domestic oven. A neighbour has one and does roasted vegetables and baked fish in it, they do taste very good.
I got a copy of The River Cafe cookbook a long time ago and realised that certain cuisine requires certain appliances. It is like trying to cook Chinese or Korean stir fries on a 3.5kW gas ring when the good stuff is done on >12kW, the food boils rather than fries on the picnic spinner* gas rings. I bought a gas powered volcano of a thing from Ali and it does the job a treat with a wok.
* Movie reference.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Aye, it can be a bit of a Marmite thing but give yourself the best chance of enjoying it by using a decent one like Stornoway black pudding

Using @figbat 's recipe for the dough, I made this a couple of weeks ago. I was so keen to try out his dough recipe that I didn't go out and get the usual toppings but used what I had in the fridge. Thought I'd have a go at chucking blue cheese alongside black pudding and it was amazing!

View attachment 574665
Stornaway is nice , sometimes buy the big huge roll from Costco . However we used Aldi’s finest version . It’s tasty !! Seriously homemade from now on in this household !!

MichaelO

Veteran
F4E596AE-994B-4D01-B72A-433CCED2F030.jpeg

We bought one of these last year to use on the BBQ - pretty good half way house solution.

Mr Celine

Discordian
We've given up on the barbecue and do all the outdoor cooking on this -

(Beer is a suggestion for something to do while waiting for the flames to die down. Other breweries are available)
Originally bought as a patio heater, which it reverts to once the cooking is done. Much better than a barbecue for thick cuts, eg chicken quarters, thick steaks etc, as it's a like a very hot oven with a grill underneath and it gives a very subtle smoky flavour.

I've never even thought of cooking a pizza in it, but will give it a bash in the summer. It'll have to be long and thin to get through the window. :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Colleague has one. Makes really nice pizza but he said its quite labour intensive, you have to be monitoring it all the time, the state of the flame, where the flame is etc etc. Its not the kind of thing you fire up and leave it to itsled apparently. But it does make nice pizza,

contadino

Veteran
I had one when I lived in Italy. It had a 2 meter base, built into the kitchen but the whole front of the kitchen opened up so it was sort of outdoors.

In terms of what I cooked in it...a lot. Obviously we had pizza parties, focaccia, bread. We always had a few trays of vegetables or tomatoes roasting. If you're hosting a lot of people, it was superb for roast meats - we put a whole kid (goat, not child) in it once. A 25kg rolled porcetta for my birthday. Bombette. I made a rice pudding in it once.

However, there's one thing that justifies it above all that. You will never have better roast potatoes than from a wood fired oven.

Would I build one in England? No.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I had one when I lived in Italy. It had a 2 meter base, built into the kitchen but the whole front of the kitchen opened up so it was sort of outdoors.

In terms of what I cooked in it...a lot. Obviously we had pizza parties, focaccia, bread. We always had a few trays of vegetables or tomatoes roasting. If you're hosting a lot of people, it was superb for roast meats - we put a whole kid (goat, not child) in it once. A 25kg rolled porcetta for my birthday. Bombette. I made a rice pudding in it once.

However, there's one thing that justifies it above all that. You will never have better roast potatoes than from a wood fired oven.

Would I build one in England? No.
Nice....but im in wales lol

PK99

Legendary Member
i find people giving an opinion that wasn't asked for rude too.......but they seem to think they have a right too.

s

This is an internet forum, that's how it works!

Despite what some seem to think no one owns a particular thread

Last edited:
This is an internet forum, that's how it works!

Despite what some seem to think no one owns a particular thread
This is true but it’s also true people give negative, snide, horrible comments or opinions that are not asked for on forums

Gunk

Guru
This is true but it’s also true people give negative, snide, horrible comments or opinions that are not asked for on forums

Some people also make comments that they would never say to someone’s face, personally I try never to say anything on a forum that I wouldn’t be prepared to say in a regular face to face conversation.

Some people also make comments that they would never say to someone’s face, personally I try never to say anything on a forum that I wouldn’t be prepared to say in a regular face to face conversation.
Very true and very true of CC

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
We only bake Neapolitan variants, thin crust and with anything from the following list:

Black olives
Anchovies
Egg
Chorizo
Cappers

And then some olive oil after baking:okay:

One of our typical pizza

View attachment 574710

Which 90-120 seconds later look like this:

View attachment 574711

I was lucky enough to be in Naples earlier this week so managed to get some very nice Mozzarella di Bufala, that sadly won't be seeing a pizza:laugh: that would be criminal.
That looks like an incredibly good pizza - hat doffed !

Top Bottom