Pizza Ovens ( outdoor )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In answer to the OP, we have one. Bought the house with one built in the garden, which also includes a barbecue. Use the BBQ all the time when the weather is good, and actually sold on a gas BBQ we had in our old house as the taste just cannot compare.

Have only used the pizza oven a few times, mainly because I didn't know how to use it. Think the previous owners must have used some sort of gas to fuel it based on the construction. However we have used it with wood and whilst it takes a while to reach heat, the pizza cooks very quickly when its hot, and tastes better IMO.

P1050003.JPG

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
In answer to the OP, we have one. Bought the house with one built in the garden, which also includes a barbecue. Use the BBQ all the time when the weather is good, and actually sold on a gas BBQ we had in our old house as the taste just cannot compare.

Have only used the pizza oven a few times, mainly because I didn't know how to use it. Think the previous owners must have used some sort of gas to fuel it based on the construction. However we have used it with wood and whilst it takes a while to reach heat, the pizza cooks very quickly when its hot, and tastes better IMO.

View attachment 574647
looks good indeed

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
1613742849161.png

im thinking of one like this, that can be moved away in winter under the counter top.....but can be used for more than just pizza

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My lads made pizza this week from scratch , they were cracking . We put black pudding and pepperoni on them :whistle:
what else was on it......not a fan of black pudding, but loves a bit of pepperoni

Aye, it can be a bit of a Marmite thing but give yourself the best chance of enjoying it by using a decent one like Stornoway black pudding

Using @figbat 's recipe for the dough, I made this a couple of weeks ago. I was so keen to try out his dough recipe that I didn't go out and get the usual toppings but used what I had in the fridge. Thought I'd have a go at chucking blue cheese alongside black pudding and it was amazing!

blackpuddingpizza.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, one way to get two grumpy teens out of their rooms. "If you are hungry, go and make your own pizza. All the ingredients are in the kitchen" - whoosh ! ;)

A mate has one, bit of white elephant. BBQ's get a lot of use, once the novelty has worn off a pizza oven doesn't.

In response to your (somewhat rude) post above, a pizza cooks pretty much the same in a domestic oven as a pizza oven, particularly if you use a pizza stone. Whereas a BBQ is difficult to replicate indoors, as it cooks / tastes differently to a grill. If its hot and you're outside, it doesn't really matter if you have the oven on inside for 20 mins to cook a couple of pizza.

Sheeeesh.....kebabs are better cooked on a BBQ
:okay:
To be fair I don’t think it was rude response

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Using a cast iron skillet we cook a vast range of meats and even breads. The breads are amazing but the meats are fairly standard, maybe we have not got the hang of it yet. Plenty of recipes online and the Ooni app can give you more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
At the authentic-Neapolitan-pizza-cooking-course I did last week (delivered by an authentic Neapolitan I might add, and the one responsible for the dough recipe that @glasgowcyclist credits me for) a couple of pertinent points were made:

- for cooking in a pizza oven you need a drier dough than for cooking in a domestic oven, since it will be in and out in <90s vs 9-12 minutes in a conventional oven. In fact there are rules about exactly how Neapolitan pizzas are made, including oven temperature, timing, ingredients etc
- an alternative to an oven is to use a pan on the hob and the grill (so-called 'padella method). Shape the dough and put it in a pan. Put on a hot hob. As the base is cooking add the toppings. Then after a couple of minutes move your pan to under a preheated, hot grill to do the top. Enjoy.

She also suggested to avoid a pizza stone if cooking in a domestic oven - the receptacle of choice is a well-seasoned, 'blue iron' pizza pan (I just used a non-stick aluminium baking tray).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
an alternative to an oven is to use a pan on the hob and the grill (so-called 'padella method). Shape the dough and put it in a pan. Put on a hot hob. As the base is cooking add the toppings. Then after a couple of minutes move your pan to under a preheated, hot grill to do the top. Enjoy.
That's exactly the "home" method they taught at a Franco Manca pizza course that I went on in London, it works so well! The teacher there said if you don't have a pizza oven, then you use that method.

20210219_184709.jpg

Last edited:
We only bake Neapolitan variants, thin crust and with anything from the following list:

Black olives
Anchovies
Egg
Chorizo
Cappers

And then some olive oil after baking:okay:

One of our typical pizza

Which 90-120 seconds later look like this:

I was lucky enough to be in Naples earlier this week so managed to get some very nice Mozzarella di Bufala, that sadly won't be seeing a pizza:laugh: that would be criminal.

Top Bottom