Planet X Buy and build your own bike day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The whole of Planet X's shtick is to be a bit rough around the edges, with a naff website, the appearance of huge discounts and no strategy, and a whiff of craziness via social media. It may not appeal to some and I find them a pain in the arse to deal with, but certainly it is working. For a small company they are very well known and last year had a 64% profit increase.

Just because they are not conventional by the standards of a traditionalist marketeer does not mean they are wrong.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If someone can't be bothered to proof read their marketing spiel then I wouldn't touch their product with a barge pole.

Than that would be your loss.

You dont need a literacy degree to know what makes a good bike.

PX bikes are often superb value and half the cost of a name brand.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I'm the original poster. I was expecting a few comments on whether this was a good deal or not lol. The website wouldn't put me off if I thought a bike was a good deal, but I don't think they do themselves any favours as people often see the presentation of the web site as a reflection of a company's professionalism and attention to detail. It reads like it's been written by someone in the office and stuck on the site without being checked over.

The thing that bugs me more is the use of the term 'free' and 'complimentary' for the food when they are actually charging £20 for it (and they later actually say the 'delivery' charge, for a bike you are taking with you, is to cover the food). Just charge 20 quid for the food and stop trying to pass it off as free when it isn't. I'm also from Yorkshire, so these things are very important to me. Don't tell me I'm getting summat for nowt, when I'm not.

Anyway, pedantry aside, is a day out and 10% off a Planet X bike good value?
At least you would get the chance to ensure that the bike is built to the correct spec. I recently ordered a bike from Ribble using the Bike Builder and it was delivered using the wrong parts in a couple of places (brake discs and cassette). A few emails to Ribble sorted it, but if I'd been there I could have corrected it at source!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think PX are deliberately 'rough around the edges' and their marketing emails are at least 'interesting' to read.

They do tend to do silly sales around the time the quarterly VAT bill is due - i.e. get the cash in.

They were struggling a year or two back, so good to see things improving. I must order one of their enduro helmets soon.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm born and bred in Pitsmoor and have been head of marketing for a firm in the finance industry for many years. I know how us Sheffielders speak and how to market things to grab the public's interest. Piss poor grammar isn't one of them.
Piss poor grammar......well thats an excellent marketing phrase :blush:

bladesman73

Über Member
Good to see people accept8
If it said "Get thi sen a bargin" then fair enough. Putting "off of" isn't that much of a deal and wouldn't stop me from spending money with them.
It's schoolboy level english no matter what way you dress it up.
Piss poor grammar......well thats an excellent marketing phrase :blush:
How many times do I have to emphasise that I dont give a shoot about grammar on a forum hence my own loose language? Twice, thrice?

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If it said "Get thi sen a bargin" then fair enough.

I can understand perfectly what that means when translated from Yorkshire into English. :laugh:

Poor grammar or spelling has no place in official company literature though. One of my pet hates is official work briefings written by university graduate managers that are full of errors or words which are spelled incorrectly for the context in which they are being used. It just leads me to conclude the author is a muppet who should have been paying more attention at school!

bladesman73

Über Member
I can understand perfectly what that means when translated from Yorkshire into English. :laugh:

Poor grammar or spelling has no place in official company literature though. One of my pet hates is official work briefings written by university graduate managers that are full of errors or words which are spelled incorrectly for the context in which they are being used. It just leads me to conclude the author is a muppet who should have been paying more attention at school!
Finally someone who understands...

Top Bottom