Planet X Das Boot - any users?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Any Northwave footwear owners bought these boots ? If so how is the sizing ? Still hovering over a pair of Northwave winter boots but they are over double the price !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Considering Shimano boots are north of £150, these are good value.

I wear my Shimano MW7 rather more than just in winter, due to them being pretty waterproof and easy to wipe clean from mountain biking.

ade towell

I got a pair size 45 and they fit well - am a 45 with Shimano summer shoes, size 9 in normal footwear. They feel just a tad narrower than the shimano so size up if you've got wide feet.
Did 1st 50 mile ride in them yesterday, temperature of 1 degree and my toes were cold but not horribly so by the end. That was with merino socks on. Before then I had been using Shimano shoes with Endura overshoes, same socks and putting in a sheepskin insole I'd cut out of an old charity shop sheepskin coat (top tip - this makes a huge difference). I wore this combo on xmas day for a 45 mile ride in 3-4 degrees with similar feeling toes at the end.
Conclusion so far - the winter boots are definitely warmer than the overshoe faff but next time I go out at near freezing temperatures I'll probably slip in the sheepskin insole for maximum warmth. Will be a snug fit though, am wondering whether the next size up would be better for this and allow a pocket of warm air around my toes. Anyone with 46s who really need 45s let me know...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I ordered a pair last night and sized up as recommended. Hopefully they will fit well without feeling like im wearing a pair of clogs. Im a 46 in shimano.

ade towell

They definitely feel a bit clumpy compared to summer shoes and I wasn't always my usual slick self when getting the clips back in but they have a decently stiff sole so all good once you're on the move

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I thought that. I can just pop them in a little rucksack and bimble over. Hopefully he will give me a lift back. Not fit enough for a century at the mo, at least, not alone.

Its easy - Just dont think about the distance and every moment you spend on the ride back will be almost like a short ride to the shops. set your own pace, maybe get some music going and just pootle along.

Unless its very hilly where you are of course then yeah, i cant blame you for wanting a ride back in that case.

rualexander

Legendary Member
These look like a good deal.
But I use flat pedals with pins (no cleats, no clips, etc), and the soles on these boots don't look like they would have much contact surface with flat pedals.
Any users able to comment on their use with flat pedals?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
These look like a good deal.
But I use flat pedals with pins (no cleats, no clips, etc), and the soles on these boots don't look like they would have much contact surface with flat pedals.
Any users able to comment on their use with flat pedals?

I personally wouldnt spend £74 on something like this if youre not planning to use it with cleats. Just buy any regular walking shoe/boot for less than half the price. The tread on it will be much more suited to flats than these MTB boots. Even if youre offroading, there are better less expensive options.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My boots arrived 567612

I took them out today, despite it beginning to ride. It was my, very late, lunch break and the only gap in the filthy weather for a couple of days. I ordered them NYE and they arrived Monday, 4th. I bought a size 42 I am a 43 in Shimano and 40-41 in real shoes So thought it worth a go. I can get warm socks in them, lovely fit.
They even wiped perfectly clean, when I got home. I love them. I am so happy that I saw this thread.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My boots arrived View attachment 567612
View attachment 567613

I took them out today, despite it beginning to ride. It was my, very late, lunch break and the only gap in the filthy weather for a couple of days. I ordered them NYE and they arrived Monday, 4th. I bought a size 42 I am a 43 in Shimano and 40-41 in real shoes So thought it worth a go. I can get warm socks in them, lovely fit.
They even wiped perfectly clean, when I got home. I love them. I am so happy that I saw this thread.
They are definitely on my list to replace my Spesh Defrosters, but not in that colour xx(:tongue:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
They are definitely on my list to replace my Spesh Defrosters, but not in that colour xx(:tongue:
I did umm and aah about the colour. The drivers around here don’t look. Only today someone didn’t see me in yellow boots and gloves, orange altura jacket and lights on at either end of the bike. Bright is good! Horrible, but it may help me live longer.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Still waiting for mine... They should have been here today, I know my local sorting office has it but the folks there arent so polite if you try and save them a little effort by trying to intercept and collect from them directly before theyve had a chance to attempt a delivery and left you a calling card if you werent home. (Dont ask me why, they are just grumpy like that) :wacko::wacko:

But these gribgrab overshoes are really really good. They arent toasty by any means but at least my toes aint blue like the previous week when i went out. :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom