Planet X Delivery Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Reeves

Regular
I've just noticed that you now have to spend over £100 to get free delivery.
It was always free if you spent over £20.
I have used PX a lot in the past, always seem to have some fairly decent stuff at good prices, especially tools, and didn't mind adding a cheaper item to take the spend over 20 quid to get the free delivery.
Will be thinking twice about using them from now on, with the postage costs added, some of there stuff won't be so cheap.
I think they could lose quite a bit of business over this move.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I don't think they will lose too many customers at the prices they charge.
I take your point on paying for delivery for something small and cheap, but they are really, really cheap for good quality gear. So it won't be putting me off.

jack smith

Veteran
What i dont get though is how you can order an item from china for 20p and have it shipped to your door.. Wurely they are making a loss! For example i ordered a carbon headset spacer for 21p or something and it came within a week from shenzen

It's a bad move from my point of view. I tend to buy stuff like lights from them.

So i will tend to hang on until i have a bigger order.

Then very probsbly just forget about it.

So their loss.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
They've missed out on an order from me because of this, but I doubt I'll make that big a dent in their finances :laugh:

Saying that though, I'll be driving up there today to have a 'look' (mrs p will be closely monitoring me) at a new tt bike :hyper:

So I'm sure it will all even out in the end...

outlash

also available in orange
I did notice that when I made an order over the weekend and I did pause for a moment, but when they're doing saddles with Ti rails for £20, I'm not going to quibble too much about a couple of quid on delivery.

Tony.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
We've had this discussion here before about how much 'free delivery' is included in the cost of the product etc.
I for one am on a budget and if I buy 4/5 things with my Xmas money can't afford 4/5 lots of £4 delivery from PX/ Decathon (free over £70)
However it was agreed on a previous thread that many people will easily spend more than both of those minimums and that not everyone is on a budget like me/ us.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Common sense really, just include the delivery charge in the price when comparing deals, if its still less than elsewhere, buy, if not don't. Therefore I sometimes buy from Rose or Bike 24 if their price is still lower after including a relatively hefty delivery charge.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've just noticed that you now have to spend over £100 to get free delivery.
It was always free if you spent over £20.
I have used PX a lot in the past, always seem to have some fairly decent stuff at good prices, especially tools, and didn't mind adding a cheaper item to take the spend over 20 quid to get the free delivery.
Will be thinking twice about using them from now on, with the postage costs added, some of there stuff won't be so cheap.
I think they could lose quite a bit of business over this move.

I am sure they would rather lose a bit of the non profit business than they would keep it.

It costs money to post and if the margins are not as wide as they were a while back then things have to change.

I will be increasing my charges this week, just to maintain the same mark up I had this year.

Youngoldbloke has the right idea.

Nobody likes a price increase, yet most want higher wages.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have yet to find a company that will deliver to my customer for free, although everything I sell is advertised as free delivery. Everyone mentions how wonderful it was to have free delivery and yet I take the cost price of the item, add the cost of delivery then add my margin then add VAT then check to see my competition and adjust is slightly to match or undercut. I make a margin on the delivery as I would on anything else I purchase and sell.

Still cannot believe anyone believes they get free delivery.

In fact since the clamber for free delivery my margins have gone up as every item has the individual delivery cost added, if someone buys multiple items I am quid's in!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't really mind whether delivery is a sperate charge or is included in the price, but I do object when it's not clearly indicated. If your site wants me to register with name/address/password/mother's maiden name/inside leg length before you'll even tell me how much you charge to send the item to a UK address, I'll go somewhere else if possible

400bhp

Guru
That's a real shame. I've bought quite a lot of stuff of them in the past, albeit only one order was over £100.

Same as above, the light sets are really good. Delivery is £3.95 so will just have to weigh up whether an order under £100 is worthwhile.

Thing is a lot of their stuff appears to be unique to them. I'm not sure if that's a help or hinderance by adding a delivery charge.

I'd hope they have done their sums and looked at orders under/over £100, then applied some assumption of the number of orders they will lose because of this, and they still make profit.

I'm going to make a prediction. The delivery charge will be removed down to £20 ish within 6 months, but their small item product prices will rise by c 20%.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a few things from them in early December & free delivery was on orders over £50, but my last order I noticed it was £100 for free delivery. At £50 i could always find something to add to my basket to get free delivery, but my last order I just stuck with what I wanted rather than looking for other stuff to add to get free delivery, so maybe they will lose some sales this way?
Some stuff they sell so cheap the delivery charge will still make it worthwhile.

screenman

Legendary Member
So stuff they sell so cheap they may not have the margin to cover postage any more.

I use RM for most of the items I send out, I have to charge extra for signed for which some people object to. Unfortunately this come about after some people received goods then denied it.

Top Bottom