Please sign the bus lane petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

spindrift said:
LCC:

Concerns are mounting as motorcyclists are disproportionately
hazardous to cyclists and pedestrians: according to CTC, PTWs are
about 1.5 times as likely as cars to be involved in collisions which
cause serious injury to cyclists, twice as likely to be involved in
causing them serious injury and about three times as likely to be
involved in killing them, per mile travelled.

Data already collected shows an increase in the number of casualties
to motorcyclists and other road users as a result of the experiment.

Transport for London should be planning to remove the concession to
motorcyclists: they need to ensure that there is effective enforcement
of bus lane restrictions.

Nimby, I'll bet Spinners voted for Boris on the quiet cos he is the sort of person who just loves to complain
catfight.gif

MERV

spindrift said:
Anyone been buzzed by kids on mopeds? They think it's funny to slice you up and pass too close. I don't want then anywhere near me.

Yes,regularly.

If some motorcyclists had any regard for cyclists then I wouldn't be too bothered but I experience a "sharing" of the cycle lane I use down from Tower Gateway and on the return from Southwark Bridge.

While this doesn't bother me too much there really are some comedians out there.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

I trust the LCC and the CTC- these guys know what they are talking about and they've have soundly condemned the move.

It is a fact that PTWs pose a disproportionate danger to cyclists, mixing them together is not a good idea, plus, as I said, what happens at the lights? PTW riders already abuse ASLs, this move will simply encourage them to encroach of space specifically designated for cyclists.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
spindrift said:
I trust the LCC and the CTC- these guys know what they are talking about and they've have soundly condemned the move.

I'm sure they are a sensible bunch of guys, but they have one interest which drives them, and cannot be relied upon to provide a balanced view, they are a pressure group, and whilst I admire their work, it's not like their in the business of trying to work out what's best for all road users, they only consider cyclists...

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Once again, it's TFL's report that says PTWs in bus lanes is a bad idea. As long as people misunderstand this, I'll keep correcting it.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Nothing misunderstood, but half of what TFL come up with is a load of guff anyway, especially as it seems to be run by people who have no idea whatsoever of how people get about London, certainly not if their traffic light phasing is anything to go by....

OP
OP
S

spindrift

half of what TFL come up with is a load of guff anyway

Like what?

Vague, unsubstantiated smears are easy to make, where's the beef?

MERV

zimzum42 said:
Nothing misunderstood, but half of what TFL come up with is a load of guff anyway, especially as it seems to be run by people who have no idea whatsoever of how people get about London, certainly not if their traffic light phasing is anything to go by....

Oh christ...Dont get me started on traffic light phasing.;)

How I can get caught at the same set day after day year after year buggers belief.:smile:

Bokonon

Über Member
Excuse my ignorance, but aren't bus lanes for, er, buses? Letting other types of vehicles in will just be the start of a downward slope - motorbikes now, then what? Small cars and vans? Then bigger cars and vans. Lorries maybe. Eventually bus lanes will just be plain old lanes again. Big cities _need_ to encourage public transport usage to beat congestion problems and environmental problems. To do that, public transport needs to be able to work unhindered. If bus lanes get clogged up with other vehicles then it will slow the buses down and make them more unattractive than they already are.

LLB

Bokonon said:
Excuse my ignorance, but aren't bus lanes for, er, buses? Letting other types of vehicles in will just be the start of a downward slope - motorbikes now, then what? Small cars and vans? Then bigger cars and vans. Lorries maybe. Eventually bus lanes will just be plain old lanes again. Big cities _need_ to encourage public transport usage to beat congestion problems and environmental problems. To do that, public transport needs to be able to work unhindered. If bus lanes get clogged up with other vehicles then it will slow the buses down and make them more unattractive than they already are.

You forgot Taxis - Taxis use bus lanes also. Taxis are 'CARS' and 'MPV's

skwerl

From the Telegraph article:
"When an early draft of this report was put together we found that there were significant methodological issues as well as irregularities in the way data had been collected. This meant the validity of these early results was questionable. Further investigation of the data has now been carried out and the report is due to be published shortly"

TFL acknowledge that the collection of data was flawed yet "further investigation of the data" (not re-collection) seems to have fixed that. Well that's alright then. Surely if the collection methods were flawed the data should have been re-collected, from sctratch.

Trustworthy analysis then? Unlikely

zimzum42

Legendary Member
spindrift said:
half of what TFL come up with is a load of guff anyway

Like what?

Vague, unsubstantiated smears are easy to make, where's the beef?

Do you live in London?

I don't right now, but I have for years. I ride bikes, I drive cars, I've worked as a driver there for years, cars, vans, small trucks.

I think I've got enough experience to be able to make general smears thanks....

Top Bottom