Please sign the bus lane petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wai

I ride a bicycle and a motorbike so not signing either.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm against it, the motorbikes aren;t a problem at the moment because they're slowed down by the regular traffic, I think many on here see them like that

once they're doing 30 or faster and passing bikes in primary with a foot to spare some on here may not be so keen on them

LLB

Tynan said:
I'm against it, the motorbikes aren;t a problem at the moment because they're slowed down by the regular traffic, I think many on here see them like that

once they're doing 30 or faster and passing bikes in primary with a foot to spare some on here may not be so keen on them

This argument is a bit like bikers trying to ban cars because the car drivers sometimes get too close to them in traffic :ohmy:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Tynan said:

Plenty of vehicles use the bus lanes, and very few bus lanes are 24hr anyway. so traffic is often whizzing past, often well above 30

I deal with that fine, so can't see any problem, despite the fact that others think there will be....

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Since we know PTW's pose a greater danger to cyclists, despite there being fewer PTWs than cars, is pretty compelling evidence, I'd have thought.

There aren't 1.5 more PTWs than cars, but PTWs are 1.5 times more likely to injure cyclists.

That's why mixing them is a bad idea.

skwerl

spindrift said:
Since we know PTW's pose a greater danger to cyclists, despite there being fewer PTWs than cars, is pretty compelling evidence, I'd have thought.

There aren't 1.5 more PTWs than cars, but PTWs are 1.5 times more likely to injure cyclists.

That's why mixing them is a bad idea.

there's no data showing the types of collisions involving PTWs and cyclists though.
It may be the case that PTW collisions frequently occur where PTWs cut into/across bus lanes at junctions and where bus lanes end/begin.
If that's the case then allowing PTWs to use the bus lanes may well reduce this type of incident.
Looking at accident rates on their own is largely meaningless

MERV

I deal with that fine, so can't see any problem, despite the fact that others think there will be....

As I said,we should see how it goes.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

It may be the case that PTW collisions frequently occur where PTWs cut into/across bus lanes at junctions and where bus lanes end/begin.

Um, any actual evidence for that?

In 2004, there were 1,059 pedestrians hit by a motorcycle. Of these:
· 20 were killed, and
· 229 were seriously injured [1]
There were no bikers killed in these collisions. [2]
In the same year, there were 253 collisions involving a pedal cycle and motorcycle. Of these:
· There were 226 pedal cyclist casualties
· One pedal cyclist was killed, and
· 35 pedal cyclists were seriously injured [3]
There were no bikers killed in these collisions. [4]
The fact that there were no bikers killed in any of these incidents shows that regardless of blame, people on foot or bikes come off worse in crashes with motorcycles.
Although motorbikes pose a much lesser risk to people on foot and on bicycles than cars do, the figures above show that they do injure and kill people.

http://www.brake.org.uk/index.php?p=920

One month ago:
Cyclist killed in road accident

From the archive, first published Wednesday 18th Apr 2007.
A CYCLIST was killed in Southend today following a collision with a motorbike rider.

http://archive.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/2007/4/18/248758.html

Until now, however, just about everyone else on the road – with the exception of other cyclists – I've merely considered a nuisance: pedestrians darting across lines of stationary traffic without looking out for cyclists, regular bus drivers who insist on intimidating me by sitting on my back wheel – and, until now, motorbikes.
But over the last few weeks, I've experienced a string of incidents where motorcyclists have joined the attempted murder club and, I've quickly come to realise that these motorised two-wheel maniacs can be the worst of the lot.
The usual dangerous encounters are when cycling down the outside of a line of traffic, where the chain of events will go something like this: motorcyclist rides up behind cyclist and starts revving his engine in an intimidating manner. Eventually, motorcyclist attempts dangerous manoeuvre, pulling out to pass cyclist just as another vehicle is heading towards them at speed in the opposite carriageway. Motorbike then sharply cuts back in, forcing aforementioned cyclist to brake suddenly or swerve into oncoming traffic.
Other fun with motorbikes includes the regular games of "chicken", when you're riding down the outside of a line of traffic and come across a biker doing the same in the opposite direction. Can you guess who swerves first – the guy on top of a 1,000cc engine or the bloke on the flimsy piece of carbon fibre?
Worst of all is the number of accidents I've nearly had when motorbikes have forced cars to pull in because they first hear, then see, them overtaking them on a narrow road. If you're cycling across Tower Bridge, for example, there isn't a whole lot of room on either side of each car, so as soon as a driver hears a motorbike roaring down the outside, he naturally pulls in, nearly hitting the kerb as well as any unsuspecting cyclists on the inside.
So the safer option for cyclists is to come down the outside of the lane too – in which case you risk playing your own part in encouraging drivers to splat cyclists on their left, and will also find yourself caught up among the intimidating motorcyclists once again.
Motorbikes – especially scooters – also have a nasty habit of using cycle lanes when it suits them, and will almost always sit in the advance stop sections for bicycles at traffic lights. This too can prove dangerous, trapping cyclists on the inside, ready to be squashed by any left-turning vehicles.
If you are lucky enough to safely jump the lights, you can also be sure that on main roads during the commuter rush you'll suddenly be engulfed by a fleet of motorbikes as soon as the lights change – and most of them will be involved in some sort of macho race. Needless to say, watching out for cyclists is never upper-most in their minds in the testosterone-fuelled battle to see who's got the biggest... engine.
There's still talk of motorbikes soon being allowed to use bus lanes, along with cyclists and taxis – and I hope to God it never happens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/comment/james-daley-the-cycling-column-396954.html

bonj2

Well I for one won't be signing it - I agree with motorbikes. They are usually much more careful than your average car driver.

LLB

spindrift said:

Um, any actual evidence for that?

In 2004, there were 1,059 pedestrians hit by a motorcycle. Of these:
· 20 were killed, and
· 229 were seriously injured [1]
There were no bikers killed in these collisions. [2]
In the same year, there were 253 collisions involving a pedal cycle and motorcycle. Of these:
· There were 226 pedal cyclist casualties
· One pedal cyclist was killed, and
· 35 pedal cyclists were seriously injured [3]
There were no bikers killed in these collisions. [4]
The fact that there were no bikers killed in any of these incidents shows that regardless of blame, people on foot or bikes come off worse in crashes with motorcycles.
Although motorbikes pose a much lesser risk to people on foot and on bicycles than cars do, the figures above show that they do injure and kill people.

http://www.brake.org.uk/index.php?p=920

One month ago:
Cyclist killed in road accident

From the archive, first published Wednesday 18th Apr 2007.
A CYCLIST was killed in Southend today following a collision with a motorbike rider.

http://archive.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/2007/4/18/248758.html

Until now, however, just about everyone else on the road – with the exception of other cyclists – I've merely considered a nuisance: pedestrians darting across lines of stationary traffic without looking out for cyclists, regular bus drivers who insist on intimidating me by sitting on my back wheel – and, until now, motorbikes.
But over the last few weeks, I've experienced a string of incidents where motorcyclists have joined the attempted murder club and, I've quickly come to realise that these motorised two-wheel maniacs can be the worst of the lot.
The usual dangerous encounters are when cycling down the outside of a line of traffic, where the chain of events will go something like this: motorcyclist rides up behind cyclist and starts revving his engine in an intimidating manner. Eventually, motorcyclist attempts dangerous manoeuvre, pulling out to pass cyclist just as another vehicle is heading towards them at speed in the opposite carriageway. Motorbike then sharply cuts back in, forcing aforementioned cyclist to brake suddenly or swerve into oncoming traffic.
Other fun with motorbikes includes the regular games of "chicken", when you're riding down the outside of a line of traffic and come across a biker doing the same in the opposite direction. Can you guess who swerves first – the guy on top of a 1,000cc engine or the bloke on the flimsy piece of carbon fibre?
Worst of all is the number of accidents I've nearly had when motorbikes have forced cars to pull in because they first hear, then see, them overtaking them on a narrow road. If you're cycling across Tower Bridge, for example, there isn't a whole lot of room on either side of each car, so as soon as a driver hears a motorbike roaring down the outside, he naturally pulls in, nearly hitting the kerb as well as any unsuspecting cyclists on the inside.
So the safer option for cyclists is to come down the outside of the lane too – in which case you risk playing your own part in encouraging drivers to splat cyclists on their left, and will also find yourself caught up among the intimidating motorcyclists once again.
Motorbikes – especially scooters – also have a nasty habit of using cycle lanes when it suits them, and will almost always sit in the advance stop sections for bicycles at traffic lights. This too can prove dangerous, trapping cyclists on the inside, ready to be squashed by any left-turning vehicles.
If you are lucky enough to safely jump the lights, you can also be sure that on main roads during the commuter rush you'll suddenly be engulfed by a fleet of motorbikes as soon as the lights change – and most of them will be involved in some sort of macho race. Needless to say, watching out for cyclists is never upper-most in their minds in the testosterone-fuelled battle to see who's got the biggest... engine.
There's still talk of motorbikes soon being allowed to use bus lanes, along with cyclists and taxis – and I hope to God it never happens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/comment/james-daley-the-cycling-column-396954.html

The whole point of motorcycles being allowed into the Bus lanes is so that it will reduce the need for them to filter which in turn lowers the risk for themselves and those around them.

You sound almost like you are jealous of them by the way you are going on Spinners. If you want to see what you are missing, I'll give you a tow up the A40 with mine next time I'm up in London on it :sad:

Bonj, PTW = Powered Two Wheelers (and no I've never heard of it before either and I've been riding motorcycles for 25 years ;))

LLB

How will allowing motorcycles to filter in bus lanes reduce the risk to those around them linf?

Because their is less risk involved to others when they filter between lines of traffic. I take it you don't hold a motorcycle license ?

You bang on about reducing the risks to the more vulnerable on the roads. Motorcyclists are proven to be amongst these groups, but because you don't do it, you conveniently ignore them in your 'road safety campaign' :smile:

Top Bottom