Poor customer service from Halfords?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
So, before the weekend I purchased some fuel cleaner for my car. I used one quarter of the bottle yesterday and placed it back in my boot.
This morning I went into my boot and noticed that the bottle had leaked everything everywhere. I went into the store I purchased it from and explained the situation, the two staff behind the till (one of whom was very experienced) both looked hopeless and didnt know what to do.
Eventually they suggested getting the Deputy Store Manager to make a decision on the issue. She came downstairs and looked at the bottle, then all of the staff said that I had put the lid on wrong (eve though I had brought it in without touching the lid as I knew I had to show that I hadnt made a mistake.
Even after explaining this, the manager still said that I had put it on wrong. She then said that if it had caused damage to my vehicle, they sold carpet cleaner.
So after selling me a faulty product, they then try to sell me more? At no point did they say sorry or offer me a refund or replacement. They didnt even bother to look at the receipt.
So just now I have called the customer services and they said that all I can do is take the matter further if I want. And what exactly would be the point in that? Where would that get me?

(Sorry just really peed off and needed somewhere to rant).

Drago

Legendary Member
Where did it leak from?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you had not opened the bottle and the seal was still in place you would have a case. With the lid tightly on and without it being cross threaded can you demonstrate it leaks now?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sounds about right for Halfords. I no longer use them unless I am utterly desperate. I've made complaints in the past e.g. when I went in looking to spend £100 and was completely ignored so I walked out. Filed a complaint and heard nothing back apart from "thanks, we have told someone". Granted, there may be some stores in the country with excellent staff, but from what I have seen they pay very little and often try to employ as many youngsters as they can to save money, without giving them the proper training. Worth complaining though, these places will not improve if no-one complains.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
oh, just to add, it's not entirely poor service on their part, as they can't be 100% sure that you didn't strip the threads on the cap. I would have expected an apology and on a low value item such as that (£6?) offered a replacement in kind.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Two points:
  1. When transporting any sort of liquid in a vehicle, you should make sure that it is in a suitable container and secured in an upright position. This may necessitate decanting it from the container in which it was originally supplied, and you certainly shouldnt rely on just a previously opened lid to prevent spills.
  2. Fuel cleaner?!? :wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This kind of reminds me of a bloke i used to work with... he kicked off at halfords when they tried to sell him a replacement tyre for his 'under warranty' bicycle which had a 'huge' chunk of glass wedged in it... he reckoned it was their problem when it was him who'd ridden over the glass. @Matthew_T ...they are not responsible for you spilling something in your car. Forget it and move on... maybe order a pizza and wallow in the warm glow of a cheesy stuffed crust :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dont forget Matt's condition may not help his 'view' of the cause. As had been said, any bottle shouldn't be in the boot unless you can guarantee it's held upright and the lid is on properly.

Unfortunately it's been opened and used, then leaked.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Boot liners are great.

Bootliner_zps4eb17a73.jpg

Top Bottom