Porlock Hill, Somerset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pigo

I scared myself half to death just driving the damn thing - no way I'm going near it on a bike!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Our auditor yesterday has done it. Says it was like riding with a paper bag over his head. Scared himself going down hill when his brakes failed to check his pace, and he had to use all the road to get round the corner. Fortunately no one was coming up at the time.

Mind you, he is seriously hardcore, and weighs absolutely nothing wringing wet ( 172traindriver).

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
We're going for a ride in the area in the spring. I suspect that any suggestions involving the words "Porlock" and "Hill" will see the ride leader tied to her bike and dropped in the sea.

westofsouth

A while back I spoke to a group of cyclists from Minehead who regularly ride to the Culbone Inn at the top of Porlock Hill - including an 80year old !
(but I think they may have used the toll road).

GilesM

Legendary Member
I've ridden up and down it a few times, all many years ago, once when I was about 16 and loaded up with camping kit, I needed the help of an escape road when things got a bit serious, not sure about car brakes, but I could definately smell mine. The descent into Lynmouth is also alot of fun.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Circa 1982. Up Lynmouth and down Porlock IIRC. Light touring and like BrumJim's mate I weghed next to nothing wet through. My rims were to hot to touch at the bottom.

Two bigger guy with me flunked it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's been a few years since I rode up it. The cattlegrid is a bit of a bugger in the wet. I did once overtake a motorbike on the descent. He caught me in the village and gave a thumbs-up with a grin as he passed.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
My nephew cycled up it on his Devizes to lands end coastal cycle ride during the summer . He said it was like no other hill he has ever climbed

Top Bottom