Possible error killed cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It astounds me. The last time I looked 'recreational drugs' where illeagal, yet I also read that the police are trying to bring in a drug drive limit :wacko:

Having said that I wouldn't cycle up the side of a high cab and then sit directly in front of it, If they can not see cars

View: http://youtu.be/lze88sU9IGg
then we have no chance. RIP

Reactions: gaz

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
"Mr Cummings was arrested and police found a bag of amphetamine in his wallet and some cannabis resin. Blood sample tests found traces of amphetamine in his system. However, a medical officer concluded he had been fit to drive and was not impaired by drugs."

Yet he wasn't prosecuted?

Cubist

Still wavin'
"Mr Cummings was arrested and police found a bag of amphetamine in his wallet and some cannabis resin. Blood sample tests found traces of amphetamine in his system. However, a medical officer concluded he had been fit to drive and was not impaired by drugs."

Yet he wasn't prosecuted?
He was cautioned. The "trace" of amphet in his blood was judged not to be contributory to the collision.

He had probably taken whizz to make him more alert.

I am guessing he was driving over his hours and the whizz wore off.

Not on the taco maybe but no one knows if he wasn't driving a mini cab for 20 hours a week on top of the wagon driving.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
At the risk of being flamed I have some Sympathy for the truck driver. Theres nothing infront of him, he is looking to the right for a gap ,sees one but now there is a cyclist in front possibly obscured by the high design of most tipper trucks.

We all make mistakes on the road noone (truck drivers or cyclists) is perfect. filtering in front of large vehicles is ultra dangerous in my opinion.

After a fatality lots of questions will have been asked , the vehicle checked and the drivers activities in the 24 hours prior will all be looked at.

Drivers computer records have been checked in the past to see if they were sleeping or surfing the net half the night prior to an accident so for us to make wild assumptions about what the driver did or didnt do is nonsense.

I think theres massive evidence that visibility from truck cabs isnt good enough .Better mirrors and windscreen design could all help reduce the death toll .In the meantime just dont go there.

Pigo

Accidental death......not his fault, obviously far worse for the cyclist & his family but that lorry driver will most likely pay for the rest of his life. A fatal accident is a truly horrific experience to be involved in & doesn't leave you......not ever :sad:

yello

On the face of it, I'm inclined to agree...

He told the inquest that, according to the Highway Code, both the driver and the cyclist should have taken extra care at the junction. PC Luther added: “In my opinion, some form of error on the part of Mr Le Blond must be viewed as a primary reason for the collision.

It's tragic, and it's something that people are becoming increasingly aware of. All vehicle, and trucks especially, have blind spots and all parties have got to try and make allowances for that.

Part of me agrees with the defence, but it does seem harsh when written in black & white :-( My own encounter with a HGV ended safely yesterday because I know about blind spots too. A HGV was parked in a loading bay outside a local pub & bookies (not dissimilar to this box van but it was a bit bigger) The road went quiet, so I anticipated he might move out and slowed down, covered my brakes moved to the out side lane to my amazement he cut across it too and into the right turn lane and did a u'turn. Maybe he just didn't look or maybe his blind spot was bigger than I thought but I'd rather be alive.

Top Bottom