Pre Diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently saw a 3 part Michael Moseley show based in Australia.
Michael deliberately ate nothing but junk food for two weeks to make himself pre diabetic. He put on a lot of weight and then went onto a healthy diet which corrected it.
He also got a number of overweight Australians onto diet and exercise plans. Some succeeded, others did not.
I have been off alcohol for about six months and cakes, biscuits, chocolate, lollies etc for about two months. I still eat oatmeal for breakfast and a bit of wholegrain bread. The programme mentioned that some friuts, mango and banana have a lot of sugar and apples have the least. In the last two months I have dropped from 75 kg to 71kg and am still dropping about 100g a week. Still eating meat and dairy.

Mike

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Recently saw a 3 part Michael Moseley show based in Australia.
Michael deliberately ate nothing but junk food for two weeks to make himself pre diabetic. He put on a lot of weight and then went onto a healthy diet which corrected it.
He also got a number of overweight Australians onto diet and exercise plans. Some succeeded, others did not.
I have been off alcohol for about six months and cakes, biscuits, chocolate, lollies etc for about two months. I still eat oatmeal for breakfast and a bit of wholegrain bread. The programme mentioned that some fruits, mango and banana have a lot of sugar and apples have the least. In the last two months I have dropped from 75 kg to 71kg and am still dropping about 100g a week. Still eating meat and dairy.

Mike

That is the advice, steer clear of processed fruit juices. If you want fruit, have small amounts of the berries , raspberry, blackberry, blue berry, strawberry. These have much lower fructose contents than other fruits. But don't overdo fruits because they're loaded with carbs. if you want fruits, add full fat cream, this blunts the insulin spike in response to the carbohydrates from the fruits.

You can do this with meals too, eat the low glycaemic index foods first then eat lets call them 'forbidden foods' after and these foods will have a blunted insulin response due to the lower GI meal.

Also, a way to flatten the glucose spike/ insulin response after eating a meal is to do some light activity like going for a walk. This allows the body to utilise the glucose on moving the body.

Domus

Guru
Started week 9 of Couch to 5K this morning. 5 minute brisk walk a solid 30 minutes run/jog/shuffle, then 5 minute walk to warm down. Weight seems stable at 75.4 Kgs. Trousers now a little slacker around the waist, getting used to not snacking. Should finish week 9 on Wednesday and have signed up for Park Run which I shall try next Saturday. My 30 minutes run turned out to be 4.9 Kms according to RWGPS so should be on for the full 5 K by Wednesday. :okay:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Some serious issues here that should be taken seriously; but if my doctor tells me I am pre-diabetic, I will remind him that I am also pre-dead.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
. if you want fruits, add full fat cream, this blunts the insulin spike in response to the carbohydrates from the fruits.
This doesn't make sense to me, full cream has almost no impact on insulin *** NOT NEGATIVE*** but fruit does so the spike in insulin it's just as bad as if you have the fruit by itself... a blood glucose meter will tell you.

You can do this with meals too, eat the low glycaemic index foods first then eat lets call them 'forbidden foods' after and these foods will have a blunted insulin response due to the lower GI meal.
I'm afraid such strategy will only end in full blown diabetes, believe me, avoid diabetes if you can.

A very important trick is missing here, every time food enters the mouth, insulin is released, even if you drink cream a small amount of insulin is released, therefore, cut out the snacks or at least have them with main meals.Even better, eat breakfast and lunch together or skip breakfast altogether.

Once pre diabetes is set then unless changes are really meant then you won't stop diabetes from developing. The only way is full commitment to reverse the damage and prevent extending what is already substantial damage to your health.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Wind and rain eased (a little) so went out and finished my Couch to 5K this morning. Now basking in the glory. :angel:

Park run on Saturday then I think one weekday 5 K in-between should keep me on track with at least one bike ride and my pilates class on Mondays.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
This doesn't make sense to me, full cream has almost no impact on insulin *** NOT NEGATIVE*** but fruit does so the spike in insulin it's just as bad as if you have the fruit by itself... a blood glucose meter will tell you.

I'm afraid such strategy will only end in full blown diabetes, believe me, avoid diabetes if you can.

A very important trick is missing here, every time food enters the mouth, insulin is released, even if you drink cream a small amount of insulin is released, therefore, cut out the snacks or at least have them with main meals.Even better, eat breakfast and lunch together or skip breakfast altogether.

Once pre diabetes is set then unless changes are really meant then you won't stop diabetes from developing. The only way is full commitment to reverse the damage and prevent extending what is already substantial damage to your health.
It seems that eating lower glycemic foods first then a higher Gi foods as part of a meal has less of a peak on insulin response.

Im not advocating this instead of reducing carbs overall. Obviously the best strategy is to severely reduce all carbs. This with intermittent fasting can reverse IR/Prediabetes/diabetes.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got less than half a pancreas but my HbA1C levels are thankfully normal, I get tested every 12 months. I have to be careful though as I'm at risk of double diabetes in the long term, having been both secondary type 1 and type 2 in the past :laugh: Look after your organs folks :okay:

Top Bottom