Premium fuel or Regular fuel (what do you use)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
For our sins im sure there's a fair few of us cyclists who still own a car and was wondering do you use the more expensive premium fuels.
Personally i do, but only now and then.
I don't whether it's the placebo affect but do find it makes a difference. The old diesel clunker i have, will feel more smoother, quieter and a bit more lively after its been run through the system for a few miles. I've also noticed that my car will run noticeably rougher on Morrissons Fuel for some strange reason. I can't explain why this would be, as from what i believe all supermarket fuels are virtually all the same.
Before an mot is due i always pour a bottle of "Forte diesel injector" into the tank. Its like the "Special brew" version of Red Ex and swear by it.
Right or wrong in what i think, i would be very interested to see what you think and use.
All the best 👍

midlife

Guru
Used to run highest octane I could find with the Impreza but now put the cheapest stuff I can find in the cars....

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no substantjve independent evidence that premium diesel makes any difference to economy or running.

Unless your car is designed to run on it, which is a handful of high performance and exclusively turbocharged cars, premium petrol makes zero difference.

I minored on combustion fuels and hylergolics for my Masters, and I too use the cheapest.

PK99

Legendary Member
For our sins im sure there's a fair few of us cyclists who still own a car and was wondering do you use the more expensive premium fuels.
Personally i do, but only now and then.
I don't whether it's the placebo affect but do find it makes a difference. The old diesel clunker i have, will feel more smoother, quieter and a bit more lively after its been run through the system for a few miles. I've also noticed that my car will run noticeably rougher on Morrissons Fuel for some strange reason. I can't explain why this would be, as from what i believe all supermarket fuels are virtually all the same.
Before an mot is due i always pour a bottle of "Forte diesel injector" into the tank. Its like the "Special brew" version of Red Ex and swear by it.
Right or wrong in what i think, i would be very interested to see what you think and use.
All the best 👍

According to a friend in the motor trade....

Supermarket fuel is bought on the Amsterdam spot -market Vs Branded fuel made with a proprietary recipe of additives.
Both meet the legal minimum standards but the Branded fuels supposedly over time help the engine run better and give better fuel economy

Sharky

Guru
Did read somewhere that with some supermarkets, that fuel can run low and sediment in the tank can be disturbed. Some cars have needed engine re builds or have been written off.

gbb

Legendary Member
According to a friend in the motor trade....

Supermarket fuel is bought on the Amsterdam spot -market Vs Branded fuel made with a proprietary recipe of additives.
Both meet the legal minimum standards but the Branded fuels supposedly over time help the engine run better and give better fuel economy
In my working abroad days, the guy who did the regular airport runs for staffi n a 5 series BMW used to be a bit anal about recording his runs and swore he got worse fuel consumption from supermarket fuel.
I tried premium fuel in a former car, I'm a bit anal about fuel consumption...I didnt see any difference tbh. It was only a thankfull but it was all I needed to know.

keithmac

Guru
They come from the same refineries, all that differs it the additive package that is normally added when the tanker gets to the forecourt.

We've used Tesco Diesel for past 15 years with no issues at all.

Maybe for high perfomance "knock limited" turbocharged petrol you'd go for the highest RON fuel (again Tesco did Momentum 99?).

I used to buy 97 and mix 20% Methanol in when drag racing cheap and 106 Blended Octane Rating..

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
:smile:
There is no substantjve independent evidence that premium diesel makes any difference to economy or running.

Unless your car is designed to run on it, which is a handful of high performance and exclusively turbocharged cars, premium petrol makes zero difference.

I minored on combustion fuels and hylergolics for my Masters, and I too use the cheapest.

An 18 year old Toyota corolla run on supermarket diesel is still as tight as the drum it was when rolled off the forecourt.

It's a keeper.

MOT in two weeks.

Top Bottom