Premium fuel or Regular fuel (what do you use)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
They come from the same refineries, all that differs it the additive package that is normally added when the tanker gets to the forecourt.

We've used Tesco Diesel for past 15 years with no issues at all.

Maybe for high perfomance "knock limited" turbocharged petrol you'd go for the highest RON fuel (again Tesco did Momentum 99?).

I used to buy 97 and mix 20% Methanol in when drag racing cheap and 106 Blended Octane Rating..

I had a tank of 50/50 methanol and water in the boot and an aquamist injection system to chuck it into the intake :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
How many Ron is 'normal' supermarket petrol as opposed to 'normal' BP, Shell etc

screenman

Legendary Member
According to a friend in the motor trade....

Supermarket fuel is bought on the Amsterdam spot -market Vs Branded fuel made with a proprietary recipe of additives.
Both meet the legal minimum standards but the Branded fuels supposedly over time help the engine run better and give better fuel economy

What trade is he in? Maybe building. The lorries at the depots here fill up at the same tanks.

keithmac

Guru
I had a tank of 50/50 methanol and water in the boot and an aquamist injection system to chuck it into the intake :smile:

I had Aquamist as well, direct port on the runners (Mitsubishi GTO TT).

I redid the fuel system, braided Teflon Lines, Twin Walbro fuel pumps, twin feed fuel rails, Bosch 1000cc ev14 injecotes etc and went over to Methanol mixes for more accurate fuel delivery (was running 1l per minute 50/50 in the Aquamist kit and it was hard to map it correctly).

midlife

Guru

I redid the fuel system, braided Teflon Lines, Twin Walbro fuel pumps, twin feed fuel rails, Bosch 1000cc ev14 injecotes etc and went over to Methanol mixes for more accurate fuel delivery (was running 1l per minute 50/50 in the Aquamist kit and it was hard to map it correctly).

had mine mapped at Roger Clark Motorsport :smile:. Had to ask the Bank Manager to pay lol.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are a lot of filters in place before it gets into the engine, also think about where the pick up pipe is in the storage tank.

keithmac

Guru
had mine mapped at Roger Clark Motorsport :smile:. Had to ask the Bank Manager to pay lol.

Yep they have a great reputation!.

I road mapped my efi converted Mk2 Golf GTI 16v G60 from scratch (Megasquirt).

Also road mapped my GTO but it was a bit "interesting" running 2bar boost, bit daft really looking back..

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Always regular derv.
Archived this on a run from Portsmouth to Bristol in the autum:

Cycleops

Legendary Member

You've completely lost me.

Top Bottom