Presta Valves without lock nut

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Always use the lock ring.

Locates the valve nice and straight when changing a tube, and makes it easier to use a push on pump, which most track pumps are.

These have threads just no locknuts, I will be swapping them out shortly for slime filled anyway, rims are tubeless but looking on Schwalbe website the Smart Sams aren't

The carcase of the Smart Sams is not, strictly speaking, air tight.

They should still set up OK as tubeless, although I have a theory that sealant dries out faster due to evaporation.

Might be cobblers, but it doesn't matter if you use slime tubes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

They should still set up OK as tubeless, although I have a theory that sealant dries out faster due to evaporation.
I was reading something last night about going tubeless & that was one of the points, it stated that the sealant would only last a couple of months before drying out. Not something I encounter with tubes, seems a more hassle than it's worth to me.

Locknuts come come off the tubes immediately after the valve caps and follow them into the bin. Pointless junk.
I don't bother with them or valve caps. I feel a bit less of a slob after reading that others don't either.

Funny, I would never in a million years have put you two in the Extreme Weight Weenie category. At least you had the sense to not admit it in public and claim other reasons for your actions.

I suspect you both indulge in pink drinks too, when no-ones watching. Well, I'm watching you.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A beginners' mistake is to screw the lock-ring up tight before inflation and thus trap the tube under the bead of the tyre at that point. More important on narrow rims.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A beginners' mistake is to screw the lock-ring up tight before inflation and thus trap the tube under the bead of the tyre at that point. More important on narrow rims.
I was guilty of that 30 years ago!

These days I leave the ring loose and push the valve body in before inflating the tube to make sure the tube is not trapped.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Managed over 30 miles today across lots of different terrain & was not visited by the fairy whose name you shouldn't speak, as I went around the back of the house I heard the doorbell, nice Amazon lady had arrived with my slimed tubes, so after a shower & food I will be fitting those. Widest I could find were 2.20 the tyres are 2.35 hope they stretch & don't tear if punctured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
WTF is a "washer nut"? A washer is not threaded, and a nut is threaded. What kind of nonsense is this?

I always use both the lock nut and the valve cap*. Seeing that the nice people at the tube factory have given them to me, it would seem rude not to. I expect something mildly bad will happen to me if I don't use them, and I'm not going to risk finding out exactly what. They are to my valve stems as the ravens are to the Tower of London.

* until I lose them. Which is generally not a very long time.

Top Bottom