Presta Valves without lock nut

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
In pro racing circles they are omitted due to their rotational mass. Pretty sure GCN did a video early in April that conclusively showed that you could lose as much as 10 seconds per wheel over the course of a Grand Tour.

In pro racing circles they are omitted due to their rotational mass. Pretty sure GCN did a video early in April that conclusively showed that you could lose as much as 10 seconds per wheel over the course of a Grand Tour.
I am pretty certain GCN's video is conclusively BS.
I'm going to fit two per wheel right now and measure the slowing down to work and back.
Lets see if that adds up to the 0.0062% difference they found for that calculation on a 90-hour TDF.
I've doubled the difference by putting on two nuts per wheel, so I should easily be able to measure a 0.0124% difference on my ride.
I'll report back tomorrow.
Not.

Drago

Legendary Member
My personal view is that most of GCN's tests are closer to flat earth and religious creationism that actual science. They usually sum up by saying, "Our test wasn't very scientific, but..."

No 'buts' matey, it simply wasn't very scientific.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm going to fit two per wheel right now and measure the slowing down to work and back.
Lets see if that adds up to the 0.0062% difference they found for that calculation on a 90-hour TDF.
I've doubled the difference by putting on two nuts per wheel, so I should easily be able to measure a 0.0124% difference on my ride.
I'll report back tomorrow.
Not.
Be careful - Those wheels might need balancing with all that extra weight on the valve side!

youngoldbloke

Tubeless - yes, very important, tubes - unnecessary - I use these
e7aa711c-1ab1-43eb-b1e8-b6797d1bd98c.jpg

youngoldbloke

Leave them on while the tube is folded, dispose of them when the tube is fitted - can't recycle black plastic around here, so it's landfill for them I imagine. (I quite liked the look of Continental yellow valve caps actually, though found the ends split after a short time rendering them pointless anyway).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whaaat? :eek: Never!

I missed the GCN vide about valve caps. I must look it up. I must admit I find the GCN videos quite entertaining, silly as they are. Even if they are all about "Getting ready for your next gran fondo" (whatever one of those is) and "How to get aero". They have very little to do with cycling as I experience it, but that's kind of the point.

If someone was running a Youtube channel about my kind of cycling it'd be pretty damn dull. "In this weeks video we compare peanut-based foods for slow trundly century rides. Are Snickers bars better than peanut butter sandwiches? And we revisit the old question: ready salted or dry roast?"

Maybe I'll start a channel. I could be an influencer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Whaaat? :eek: Never!

I missed the GCN vide about valve caps. I must look it up. I must admit I find the GCN videos quite entertaining, silly as they are. Even if they are all about "Getting ready for your next gran fondo" (whatever one of those is) and "How to get aero". They have very little to do with cycling as I experience it, but that's kind of the point.

If someone was running a Youtube channel about my kind of cycling it'd be pretty damn dull. "In this weeks video we compare peanut-based foods for slow trundly century rides. Are Snickers bars better than peanut butter sandwiches? And we revisit the old question: ready salted or dry roast?"

Maybe I'll start a channel. I could be an influencer.
Honey Dry Roast.

Top Bottom