Presta Valves without lock nut

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Lance Armstrong once said "valve cap - not cool"

So if you are minded to be influenced one way or the other by him, you now know his stated position.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
"Weight penalty" :laugh:

Pick your nose before a ride, it'll probably have much the same effect in terms of weight reduction :rolleyes:
Yebbut the bogey in your nose isn't subject to rotational forces, unless you're Regan in The Exorcist.
Three pages on this. THREE!

I’m not going to take it seriously until Yellow Saddle has commented.
To attract @Yellow Saddle 's comment you first have to invoke His presence with the traditional incantation - it's no use just casually mentioning Him without using the @ symbol.

Yebbut the bogey in your nose isn't subject to rotational forces, unless you're Regan in The Exorcist.

To attract @Yellow Saddle 's comment you first have to invoke His presence with the traditional incantation - it's no use just casually mentioning Him without using the @ symbol.

He has spoken on the issue, in post 21 already. Subject is closed. Those who don't use locknuts and caps have been judged and noted.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
With high pressure tyres > 100 psi, repeatedly snugging these nuts down just encourages the valve to creep into the rim hole, straining the tube and leading to an unpatchable puncture. Either put the nut *inside* the rim to prevent creep, or throw it away.

Most people use the nut as an aid to tyre inflation because it stops the valve disappearing into the rim when you try to attach a pump head - but this only happens with fully flat or really soft tyres, and in those cases it's easy enough to hold it in place through the tread, using your other hand.

Drago

Legendary Member
Next time you're in a communist state have a look see and make not of how they have their Presta valves. You'll note lack of lock ring and dust cap because they're considered western and decadent.

Here in the Drago household we refer to them as freedom caps and democracy rings, but only while saluting the picture of his worshipfulness President Donald J. Trump that hangs over my fireplace.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Next time you're in a communist state have a look see and make not of how they have their Presta valves. You'll note lack of lock ring and dust cap because they're considered western and decadent.
Nonsense.

Merely possessing a Presta valve is a one way ticket to the Gulags. Woods valves only, comrade.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Here in the Drago household we refer to them as freedom caps and democracy rings, but only while saluting the picture of his worshipfulness President Donald J. Trump that hangs over my fireplace.
He's your president? Good, I'm glad somebody thinks he is their leader. I'm beginning to think this is just an extended comedy sketch. Except it's not funny, especially if you're a Latino, a Kurd, a Democrat, a member of the press, or someone not in lockstep with Donald John Trump.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use the rings, but I have recently been running across steel jacketed presta valves without threads for deep V rims. I use those on my single speed Facet, no problems to report. Perhaps there is room in this world for both threaded and washered Presta Valves, and those otherwise.

Peace.

rrarider

Veteran
For years I'd always tightened down the locknut as a matter of course. Lately after switching to VIttoria tubes (mainly because they were threaded and had a lucknut) I started getting punctures when, after tightening the nut down hard when the tube was flat, I inflated the tyre with a track pump. I have to agree with @rogerzilla , as tightening pulled too much of the rubber on the valve stem through the rim hole and caused an irreparable puncture. I now don't use the locknuts at all, even though they do make the wheel look neater.

Harry1

Regular
For years I'd always tightened down the locknut as a matter of course. Lately after switching to VIttoria tubes (mainly because they were threaded and had a lucknut) I started getting punctures when, after tightening the nut down hard when the tube was flat, I inflated the tyre with a track pump. I have to agree with @rogerzilla , as tightening pulled too much of the rubber on the valve stem through the rim hole and caused an irreparable puncture. I now don't use the locknuts at all, even though they do make the wheel look neater.
Interesting, I have always used a locking nut because it makes it a bit easier to pump up tyres and because they look better. I thought they also helped to keep your valve from rattling around in the rim too? Have you noticed any difference in rattling since you stopped using the locknuts?

rrarider

Veteran
Interesting, I have always used a locking nut because it makes it a bit easier to pump up tyres and because they look better. I thought they also helped to keep your valve from rattling around in the rim too? Have you noticed any difference in rattling since you stopped using the locknuts?
No, they don't rattle at all, as I have very skinny wheels and tyres and they are inflated to 110 psi.

Top Bottom