Printer ink Vs new printer. (Plus where to get replacement cartridges)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a Canon printer which is approx 3 years old. TBH now I'm retired it is seldom used. It cost me £70ish.
Just been for new cartridges (from Currys) and the price is..........£70.
I can buy a new HP printer WITH ink for £45.00.
All the independant suppliers in Warrington (bar one)* have gone. *they can supply clones for £25 but advised me they can leak.
So........
New printer ?
Risk the clones ?
Not bother and get the odd things printed at the library ?
Other suggestions welcome

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Risk the clones.
I get clones off of Ebay for cheap money and can't remember ever having a problem.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A new printer will only come with 'starter' cartridges that will print far fewer pages than a replacement set. However, having said that if you ignore the environmental considerations and print very infrequently then a new printer maybe the way to go. Personally I have given up on inkjets and moved to a laser because I was fed up with ink drying out and clogging and clone cartridges failing at inopportune moments.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do you need colour? If not, a laser printer is vastly cheaper to run - and doesn't suffer from drying out. Don't be fooled by the new printer with ink - the ink it comes with will be a tiny amount...then you'll be back to massively overpriced replacements. If you do need colour, go with cheapo fakes off ebay, like the blue feller says.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a cheap HP Envy 4500 scanner/printer and use the contract ink deal from the manufacturer for £1.99/pcm
This works a treat. Can print anything I want even full size A4 colour pictures as they count pages printed so no worries about printing ink heavy stuff like you might when it is your own ink.
Genuine replacement cartridges arrive automatically in the post when your current ones are getting low and any unused pages rollover for one month so my 50ppm limit usually means I could print 80+ one month if needed.
I have been on this for a couple of years now and so impressed that I recently got the same/current version for my dad. My brother saw it and worked out the contract then immediately went out and got the same for himself.
£24 a year for genuine cartridges delivered to your door. Bargain, and much less than a replacement set.

si_c

Guru
I used to have a printer, ultimately I very very rarely used it - it was quite an expensive MFD as well - eventually I had it taken away and recycled and I don't miss it. Last time I needed to print something I asked my Dad to do it, on other occasions I've just taken it to a print shop on a memory stick and get them to print it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A new printer will only come with 'starter' cartridges that will print far fewer pages than a replacement set. However, having said that if you ignore the environmental considerations and print very infrequently then a new printer maybe the way to go. Personally I have given up on inkjets and moved to a laser because I was fed up with ink drying out and clogging and clone cartridges failing at inopportune moments.
Been thinking of that. I can get a basic b&w laser printer for less than £50.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to have a printer, ultimately I very very rarely used it - it was quite an expensive MFD as well - eventually I had it taken away and recycled and I don't miss it. Last time I needed to print something I asked my Dad to do it, on other occasions I've just taken it to a print shop on a memory stick and get them to print it.
Sounds like my situation and may be the way for me to go.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another 1 for going with the clones. The ink cartridges are where rhey make the money not the printers. I use clones and they work just fine. Of course they will tell you to use branded ones.

KneesUp

Guru
We have an inkjet scanner/printer thing at home that uses cartridges I can get from 'that computer shop near big Asda' (none of us can ever remember what it's called) for £1 each. We don't use it much though. At work I have a colour laser, which is great for documents but a bit rubbish for pictures, but you can do those at Boots or wherever. If you don't use it much I'd not bother with inkjets.

tom73

Guru
Been thinking of that. I can get a basic b&w laser printer for less than £50.

We did this years ago due to same issues as you. So cheep to run don’t have to think about them needed heads cleaning and using 1/2 the ink doing it. we’ve printed of 100s of papers sometimes in one go. Only on the 2rd cartage.

Top Bottom