Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
True, but it only takes one person out of the 100 surveyed to have heard of Bernard Thevenet and that’s the jackpot out the window.

(I can’t remember if Thevenet was a pointless answer or not but I do remember being surprised at a couple that weren’t)
I think I went for Gimondi, Walkowiak, and probably Van Impe. A good spread, and I'd've been fine. You could've won with Stephen Roche, so I think anyone knowing the subject would've very unlucky not to.

Colombia is close to becoming the 14th nation to win the Tour de France, and also the ninth to produce a winner of all three grand tours. There's an unexpectedly long time to wait for tomorrow's action, so while we wait:

Which are the other eight, and which was the last nation to add itself to the list?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As that one fell like a lead balloon, I'll try another. Watching today reminded me of something. In which year was the Paris circuit raced in the opposite direction?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
GB would be the most recent, by the way.

Full list (but not necessarily in this order) is:
Belgium, obvs
France
Italy
Spain
Switzerland
Ireland
Netherlands
USA
GB

Not a clue on the wrong way round Paris question!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Col de l'Iseran (2770 m) was the highest KOM on this year's Tour, but what's been the lowest KOM for a major race? (UCI x.1 or better.)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My guess would be the Tour of Denmark.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Climb by bike lists up to 1800m for the country concerned.
If it makes it easier, the KOM was at 20m
Is it the Tour of Israel? It looks as though this took place at least once, in 2010, and the Dead Sea was on the route. So you could have had a big categorised climb finishing below sea level if you wanted to.

The reverse circuit in Paris was 1988, by the way. It was quite a noteworthy thing at the time but seems to be largely forgotten. Here it is:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XH7jQL0A_g

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is it the Tour of Israel? It looks as though this took place at least once, in 2010, and the Dead Sea was on the route. So you could have had a big categorised climb finishing below sea level if you wanted to.
Right idea, but "major race" cuts that out.

It was the Arctic Race of Norway, the time they visited Nordkapp.
The bottom of the tunnel to reach the island is at 212 m below sea level, and the exit and KOM is at about 20 m. The climb out is about 2.5 km at 9%.

Top Bottom