Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
I can't remember, but I'm fairly certain it was the name of another newspaper - Het Volk rings a bell, is that it?
Damnit... you guys are too fast :okay:
In its current incarnation, it's only a few years old (third edition this year?), but I know it has existed longer than that in different forms.
Yeah, talking about the "Strade Bianchi concept/race" not this exact name
(apparently they dumped the bank sponsor in the name since the 2012 edition, so it was the 4th editon)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I can't find a more recent version of this thread, so I hope this one will do.

The rest day is nearly over, thank goodness. To while away a few more minutes, here's a little teaser:

Yellow51.JPG

Who are the two TDF winners in the picture?
Which rider is an ex world road champion?
Who's in yellow (51)?

By all means name the others if you wish!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Good try. Delgado and Fignon are correct, Fignon being the one second from the right. But to get the complete picture you need to pin down which race it is. It's not the 1989 Tour.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ok, slightly more serious answer...

Is the green jersey Steven Rooks?

ETA: If it’s not the 1988 Tour, it must be the 1986 Vuelta. So maybe the green jersey is Robert Millar?

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ah! Got it - Millar is on the left in yellow. Don’t know who the green jersey is. Or which one is the ex world champion (that may or may not be Kelly on the right but he was never world champ, of course - I was thinking of Roche, but I don’t think he is in the pic).

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @smutchin. I've been away with computer woes until now, so catching up.

The photo came from a charity shop book in French, mainly pictures from the Tour. It was there purely to illustrate the formation of echelons, with no other description, and it was a while before it dawned on me it wasn't from the Tour. With most of the numbers and kit visible it's possible to decode.

No 2 is the 1978 World Champion Gerrie Knetemann, one of my favourites. He died from a heart attack aged 53 while riding his bike with friends. Perhaps not the worst way, though it can't have been nice for those who were there.

For the record:

41 - Pello Ruiz Cabestany
20 - Angel Camarillo
124 - Isidro Juarez
59 - Peter Harings
24 - Dominique Garde

A couple of names I remember.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
1978 World Champion Gerrie Knetemann

...is a pointless answer! :laugh:

(They did once have Tour winners as a question in the final round of Pointless - I got three zero-scoring answers straight off: Pingeon, Zoetemelk, Janssen. I'd stuggle a bit more if the question were World Champions, though Janssen would probably be good for that too.)

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
...is a pointless answer! :laugh:

(They did once have Tour winners as a question in the final round of Pointless - I got three zero-scoring answers straight off: Pingeon, Zoetemelk, Janssen. I'd stuggle a bit more if the question were World Champions, though Janssen would probably be good for that too.)

You're over thinking this Smutch. Most of the general public wouldn't be able to name 1

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You're over thinking this Smutch. Most of the general public wouldn't be able to name 1

True, but it only takes one person out of the 100 surveyed to have heard of Bernard Thevenet and that’s the jackpot out the window.

(I can’t remember if Thevenet was a pointless answer or not but I do remember being surprised at a couple that weren’t)

Top Bottom