Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yeah, change the e to an i and you're a bit closer to the right answer, though you'd still also need to change the 'Ma' to 'Bott' and the 'gn' to 'ecch' and then add an 'a' to the end. ;)

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Yeah, change the e to an i and you're a bit closer to the right answer, though you'd still also need to change the 'Ma' to 'Bott' and the 'gn' to 'ecch' and then add an 'a' to the end. ;)

I'm all over the bloody place with these questions:
Magni is the answer to the Tour of Flanders 3 times winner question.

I've not a bloody clue what your question was :laugh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I've not a bloody clue what your question was :laugh:

Oh, I see!

I think @The Couch was offering Magni as the answer to my question about who Henri Desgrange gave the nickname Butterfly (to which the answer is Bottechia).

I had no idea Magni was also the answer to the question about who won Flanders three times, but that would explain the clue about it being a 'big' name...

The Couch

Über Member
:okay:

I think @The Couch was offering Magni as the answer to my question about who Henri Desgrange gave the nickname Butterfly (to which the answer is Bottechia).
Actually my guess was really Magne (Antonin Magne):
220px-Antonin_Magne.jpg

Checking the actual dates, he was also pretty late to coincide with Desgrange (although unlike Robic, he actually won the Tour before Desgrange died :smile:)

Bottecchia wasn't a name that I knew ...I am assuming the "history of the Tour de France" documentary(s) I saw, didn't really highlight him.. but he was the first Italian to win it, won it twice and wore the yellow jersey from start to finish, so a name I'll try to remember
(side comment: the ears of Bottecchia actually seem to lose it versus the 2 guys I gave a go at, no? ^_^)

The Couch

Über Member
Who are the cyclists who have won the World Championship Road Race (a record) 3 times?
(I actually got this question myself on a general knowledge quiz last year... and I didn't manage to get it :shy:)

And (a bit of a give-away) a 2nd question... who is the cyclist that has ended most on the podium, but has never won it

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Actually my guess was really Magne (Antonin Magne):

Ah!

Bottecchia wasn't a name that I knew ...I am assuming the "history of the Tour de France" documentary(s) I saw, didn't really highlight him.. but he was the first Italian to win it, won it twice and wore the yellow jersey from start to finish, so a name I'll try to remember

His is a fascinating story. Grew up in extreme poverty, illiterate, finished 5th in his first Giro in 1923 while riding as an independent (with no team), rode the Tour the same year having joined Henri Pelissier's Automoto team and wore the yellow jersey for six stages, accused of winning the Tour in 1924 without trying(!), won it again convincingly the following year, then in 1926 had a bit of a mental breakdown and withdrew from the race. Less than a year later, he was dead from mysterious injuries suffered while out on a training ride, rumoured to have been murdered because of his anti-fascist leanings.

(side comment: the ears of Bottecchia actually seem to lose it versus the 2 guys I gave a go at, no? ^_^)

Yes, definitely. Robic especially really does look a bit like a butterfly.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Who are the cyclists who have won the World Championship Road Race (a record) 3 times?
5 surely - Jeannie Longo?

Assuming, though, that you meant men, I know that Oscar Freire won three, and I'm guessing that Merckx did too. Anyone else in that club?

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
(I actually got this question myself on a general knowledge quiz last year... and I didn't manage to get it :shy:)

And (a bit of a give-away) a 2nd question... who is the cyclist that has ended most on the podium, but has never won it
Freire, Merckx, Binda?

Most podiums must be Valverde

The Couch

Über Member
Who held the solo-record of most Tour de France victories for the longest time (so before another managed to tie it)?

FYI, I am talking GC wins, not stage wins
Ah! You're throwing us off the scent by asking a question to which the answer isn't a Belgian. Sneaky! ^_^
As you have seen already, many of the answers are indeed Belgians... and this one is as well

Philippe Thys
philippe-thys-de-vergeten-drievoudige-tourwinnaar.jpg

Considering he had 3 wins separated by the war, he theoretically could have still been the current record holder (i.e. have more than 5 wins)

The Couch

Über Member
What was the previous name of Omloop Het NIeuwsblad?

It feels like a classics monument already, but when was the first edition of the Strade Bianchi?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What was the previous name of Omloop Het NIeuwsblad?

I can't remember, but I'm fairly certain it was the name of another newspaper - Het Volk rings a bell, is that it?

It feels like a classics monument already, but when was the first edition of the Strade Bianchi?

In its current incarnation, it's only a few years old (third edition this year?), but I know it has existed longer than that in different forms.

Top Bottom