Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
Who held the solo-record of most Tour de France victories for the longest time (so before another managed to tie it)?

FYI, I am talking GC wins, not stage wins

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Who held the solo-record of most Tour de France victories for the longest time (so before another managed to tie it)?
Playing fair and not looking it up, we have Anquetil's 5th in 1964 tied by Merckx in '74 (10 years). His 4th in 1963 was tied in 1972.

I think Sylvere Maes won his third in 1939, matched by Bobet in 1955, which would make 16 years. But I've a feeling someone may've won three before that. So whoever that was is probably the winner.

---------------

Wiggins and Froome scored a UK 1-2 in Paris in 2012. By my reckoning there have been 7 other national 1-2s since WW2. How many can you name?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think Sylvere Maes won his third in 1939, matched by Bobet in 1955, which would make 16 years. But I've a feeling someone may've won three before that. So whoever that was is probably the winner.

I know one of the early generation won three, so I presume it's him. Can't recall his name though. I can't get Octave Lapize and Firmin Lambot out of my head, but I think that's just because I like the names - neither of them won it three times.

Although, with reference to @The Couch's earlier question, Lapize is one of the riders killed in the First World War.

The Couch

Über Member
It's indeed someone who won it 3 times (beating Petit-Breton's record) in the early days (and so without WW1 he might have gotten more).
He was also the 3rd foreigner to win the Tour

Actually Maes only won it twice (although he left the 1937 Tour while leading the GC and so might have won 3), but it's indeed Bobet who broke the "solo-lead"
(but still... pretty impressive knowledge already shown by you guys)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Actually Maes only won it twice

I didn't think he'd won it three times, but I didn't want to say anything because I assumed @Aravis was speaking from superior knowledge. ^_^

OK, I'm going to throw in another question:
Which double Tour winner did Henri Desgrange give the nickname Butterfly because of his sticking out ears?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I didn't think he'd won it three times, but I didn't want to say anything because I assumed @Aravis was speaking from superior knowledge.
Not at all. When trying to picture the list in my mind the presence of the other Maes was a bit misleading/distracting and I decided to take a risk. Something like that anyway. I still haven't looked.

The Couch

Über Member
OK, I'm going to throw in another question:
Which double Tour winner did Henri Desgrange give the nickname Butterfly because of his sticking out ears?
Robic?

FYI, I am talking GC wins, not stage wins
Hint: it's a Belgian, who spread his 3 victories before and after WW1, his second win he lead the Tour from day 1 till the end :eek:
(if no one has it in the coming days, I'll share the answer)

Another one to go at:
There are 6 men holding the win-record (3 wins) in the Tour de Flanders:
A. Buysse, E. Leman, J Museeuw, T. Boonen and F. Cancellara
Who is the missing guy?
(a small hint to start.. a big name in the history)

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
If it's a big name in history I'm tempted to say Merckx, but I think he only won two. Or did you mean Ronde van Vlaanderen history specifically?

The Couch

Über Member
If it's a big name in history I'm tempted to say Merckx, but I think he only won two. Or did you mean Ronde van Vlaanderen history specifically?
If it's not Merckx, it must be Roger de Vlaeminck...

Unless it's Rik van Looy
It's not Merckx (2x) ...nor Monsieur Paris Roubaix (1x)... nor Van Looy (2x)... and I'll save you it' also not Rik Van Steenbergen either (2x)

It's actually an Italian

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's not Merckx (2x) ...nor Monsieur Paris Roubaix (1x)... nor Van Looy (2x)... and I'll save you it' also not Rik Van Steenbergen either (2x)

It's actually an Italian

Ah! You're throwing us off the scent by asking a question to which the answer isn't a Belgian. Sneaky! ^_^

One last try... Magne?

Nope. If you want a very large clue, it's a cyclist who died in mysterious circumstances, rumoured to have been murdered by fascists.

Top Bottom