Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at the pic of Firmin Lambot on that page brings another question to mind - one for which I admit I had to look up the answer myself:

When were variable gears first used in the Tour de France?

(It's a question for which there are multiple answers depending on how you understand the term 'variable gears' but I'm thinking of derailleur systems specifically. Bonus points for alternative answers.)

I know fixed/single gear bikes were used for the first 30+-/- years of the TdeF. I'd guess derailleur/variable gears were introduced mid/late 30s.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yup - good guess @HF2300 but one year out - 1937 according to my sources. Only flip-flop hubs were allowed until then.

Good old UCI.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Yup - good guess @HF2300 but one year out - 1937 according to my sources. Only flip-flop hubs were allowed until then.

Good old UCI.

Ah, OK. That's interesting. UCI - never knowingly ahead of the times. Though might it have been the TdF organisation that were the stick in the muds?

The Couch

Über Member
In 1975 Walter Godefroot was the first (Belgian) to win on the Champs-Elysees. After him 8 other Belgians managed to repeat that, who was the last (most recent) to win there?

The Couch

Über Member
How many times did a team led by Patrick Lefevre dominate (take all 3 places on) the Paris Roubaix podium?
Extra points, if you can guess the years as well :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Who was the rider that spent the most time in an escape during this Tour de France?

Dammit, I know this one... I know it's one of you lowlanders, but I can't recall which one. Not GVA or Vanmarcke though. I know Vanbilsen spent a lot of time in breaks but I don't think it's him either.

Hmmmm...

Top Bottom