Pro Racing pub quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Oliverio Rincon must be a good candidate for the list - won stages in all three GTs including an epic stage in the 1993 Tour, the first that I followed fantatically (Andorra?)

Also Chepe Gonzalez, twice Giro green jersey winner in the 1990s, Hernan Buenahora (think he got a top 10 in the Tour?) and the minuscule Nelson Rodriguez beating Piotr Ugrumov at Val Thorens in the 1994 Tour...

Legs

Name the top 5 British race winners in terms of races won. Professionals only.

As a bit of a stab in the dark, I'll say
Mark Cavendish
Chris Boardman
Malcolm Elliott
Barry Hoban
Nicole Cooke

Legs

Wow! Stab in the dark, I'd drop Wiggins, cos (apart from winning everything under the sun in 2012) I don't remember him winning very many little races.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wow! Stab in the dark, I'd drop Wiggins, cos (apart from winning everything under the sun in 2012) I don't remember him winning very many little races.
Bad luck! It was Simpson you shudda dropped!
Wiggo won more than you think!

1.Cav 133 wins
2.Boardman 41
3.Wiggins 33
=4.Elliott 31
=4. D Millar 31

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Where would Nicole Cooke feature on this scale?
Dunno!

Legs

I think that the men's and women's combined would be
1 Mark Cavendish
2 Nicole Cooke
3 Emma Pooley
4 Chris Boardman
5 Bradley Wiggins

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Last mention of this tour: have a look at those stage distances! :eek::eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Tour_de_France#Results

Looking at the pic of Firmin Lambot on that page brings another question to mind - one for which I admit I had to look up the answer myself:

When were variable gears first used in the Tour de France?

(It's a question for which there are multiple answers depending on how you understand the term 'variable gears' but I'm thinking of derailleur systems specifically. Bonus points for alternative answers.)

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Looking at the pic of Firmin Lambot on that page brings another question to mind - one for which I admit I had to look up the answer myself:

When were variable gears first used in the Tour de France?

(It's a question for which there are multiple answers depending on how you understand the term 'variable gears' but I'm thinking of derailleur systems specifically. Bonus points for alternative answers.)

Derailleurs have been around for donkey's years, late 1800s, and other variable gears before that, but I don't think they were legal for racing until the 1930s. God knows on the TdF though - you'd have thought as soon as they were legal, but I bet it isn't. 1936? ('cos I know they were on the Giro by then)

Top Bottom