Problem with noisy disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ralph the Cat

I have disc brakes on my new Rockhopper, but the squeaking noise (actually squeaking is a major understatement) when I apply the back brake is driving me nuts. I've only had the bike two months and used it exclusively for commuting.

Should and how do I sort this out?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It could be dirt on the pads or rotors, try cleaning these first and see if that helps, if that doesn't work then you need to get the adjustment checked. I am sure there will be more advice soon...

native son

I have the same on my crosstrail . Squeaks when applying the brakes at the start of a ride but stops after a while. Thought it was normal so any advice welcome .

rusky

CC Addict
Mine squeal when wet/damp. I think it's the rotors as I've changed teh brakes & the problem is still there.

Bman

Guru
I have Avid Juicy 3's on my ride, and they squeek too.

According to Bonj it's normal and there is nothing you/I can do about it.

However, since then they have settled down. Ive found a good alcohol based cleaner is good for cleaning the rotors, and as long as they are clean and dry they are much quieter. The rear has stopped squeeking entirely, and the front only now squeeks when at very low speeds and coming to a halt. Moreso when its wet.

I have disc brakes on my new Rockhopper, but the squeaking noise (actually squeaking is a major understatement) when I apply the back brake is driving me nuts. I've only had the bike two months and used it exclusively for commuting.

Should and how do I sort this out?

Give the rotor a good clean with disk brake cleaner or IPA.
It may be that you've got a tiny bit of oil on it.

If the rotors are the same size swap front and back and see if it still does it.

davidaw

When car or motorbike disc brakes used to squeak, they put a film of copper grease on the back of the pads (being careful not to get any on the fronts or disc).

This would stop the metal to metal rub between the pad and pistons, ie. squeak.

Most commonly on new bikes it's simply the brakes are not centered. Slack off the two bolts holding the calliper, squeeze lever and hold, tighten bolts. Costs nowt and often works.

+1

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put the pads in the dishwasher. Nothing is hotter or more caustic and efficient for removing the brake fluid that's making them squeak.

When car or motorbike disc brakes used to squeak, they put a film of copper grease on the back of the pads (being careful not to get any on the fronts or disc).

This would stop the metal to metal rub between the pad and pistons, ie. squeak.

I've always shied away from this on the bike since the pads are much more exposed, I could see accidental contamination being possible

davidaw

I've always shied away from this on the bike since the pads are much more exposed, I could see accidental contamination being possible

Yes, you do need to be careful. The amount needed in extremely small, but is effective as my Dad has proven with his cars and motorbikes in the past.

Top Bottom