Project X , emma's folding e-trike

Discussion in 'Recumbents, Trikes and HPVs' started by voyager, 16 May 2017.

1. Scoosh

Scoosh Velocouchiste Staff Member

Typical, eh ? All excited, kit arrives early :hyper: ... then the miserable body lets you down. :angry: After all you do to keep it comfy, exercised etc ... not fair ! :cursing:
    GWS ! :hugs:

voyager likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    voyager

voyager E- tadpole Triker

Starting to feel a little better , here is a sneak preview of the goodies that arrives yesterday, 2 of everything but only one motor , this buy , £185 inc carriage of £45 WP_20171006_16_00_08_Pro.jpg

raleighnut likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    voyager

Spokes ordered , rims on their way - maybe the end of the week - watch this space .

BTW I have found a small company that will custom make spokes to your requirements - google "Ryan builds wheels "

Laters emma

Milkfloat likes this.
  4. fixedfixer

fixedfixer Über Member

You need a spoke roller :okay:

5. OP
    OP
    voyager

That is one toy that we do not own .......yet , so far the ones I have seen they don't recommend for rolling stainless spokes.

One day we will find one

Laters Emma .

6. I don't have any fabrication skills, or indeed any particular interest in recumbent trikes. But I absolutely love these build threads.

voyager likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    voyager

hi Dt
    glad you like the build threads , it's a way of getting more people interested in the dark side of cycling .

For me its a hobby that gives me plenty of fresh air and allows the brain to function with problem sorting , helping me keep this old body in reasonable shape and condition . Triking and Caravanning are two of my "hobbies" that gel and give us the best of both worlds. A break and exercise with a slower pace , rather than sitting in a tin box poluting the atmosphere with fumes

raleighnut likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    voyager

wheel built and trued , next stage is replaced electronics
    WP_20171012_17_01_32_Pro.jpg WP_20171012_17_02_04_Pro.jpg

Threevok, neil earley and raleighnut like this.
  9. Bad Machine

Bad Machine In the garage .....

Emma, would that type of hub suit a 9-speed cassette ? And how do you choose between electric hubs if the wheel size is 26"/700c or 20" ? I ask as one of our group is interested in e-assist on his existing 26" Performer trike, without breaking the bank !

10. OP
    OP
    voyager

The bmsbattery website has the measurements of the hub , this can be compared with the trike , There are 3 different speeds available . 201 is the one used most by 26" plus wheel sizes and 328rpm on the smaller wheels , this is because the 328 has less torque.
    The C version denotes the cassette hub version . We use the Q100 328 in our 20" builds , there is also a mid rated motor available on their website.

Next stage is strip the old kit off , so far it looks miserable outside.and today's enthusiasm has not been delivered .

Short term l will use the 2nd battery off my 20/20 until my funds build back up and I order a 36v 15ah bottle battery , that will give over 35miles range.

The X type has spent my "this months money " on a pas/water pump assembly.

Updates later with new photos as something happens, just heard a rattle at the door , could that be the enthusiasm being delivered.?

Later's Emma

11. OP
    OP
    voyager

I must have been short changed on the enthusiasm and time that arrived today.
    I stripped off the unwanted controller led display and pedelec sensor . I fitted the rear wheel and adjusted the rear brake .another quick upgrade was the fitting of an eight speed 11-32 screw-on freewheel , the mech adjusted easily to accept it .
    The wider BPM motor allowed me to space the hub to get the wider freewheel in without any problems . The pedelec sensor cable is 18" short and this afternoons little job is extending the cable ready to fit next week.

Later's Emma WP_20171013_13_05_48_Pro.jpg WP_20171013_13_05_32_Pro.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    voyager

WP_20171016_11_54_50_Pro.jpg WP_20171016_11_54_39_Pro.jpg WP_20171016_11_54_26_Pro.jpg With the temperature above normal for this time of year but an overcast sky, the delivery of enthusiasm and time arrived about ten am this morning . Bang on time .This was unleased upon the trike with great gusto and by twelve the upgrade was finished . With the rear jacked in the air the speedo gave an indicated 22 mph as an off load total max speed , With the display recalibrated to 20" wheel and mph it all seems right , after a test fold to ensure the newly loomed cables fold in the right place , the seat was refitted and a test ride duly took place , with the starting of dampness lurking in the air it was decided to put it away for today . Tomorrow is another day.
    I am pleased todays efforts were enough to finish the trike ready for more shake down rides before commissioning it into service.
    With the new tyres and the 8 speed freewheel it is only waiting for the funds to get a 36v 15ah battery to increase the range to an estimated 35 miles.

regards Emma

Lonestar, Scoosh, Dogtrousers and 3 others like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    voyager

Hi folks

the new bottle battery arrived yesterday ., it took 7 hours to charge the 36v 15ah Samsung celled battery on it's first charge.This new battery is almost 18" long , and not very light, but should be good for around 40 mikes range.

The battery was followed this morning with some time , enthusiasm and sunshine arriving about ten am , that in itself a rare occurrence in late October.

Battery was duly fitted this morning and a test ride prove well . The final shakedown rides will follow in the next few weeks and hopefully a few shots with nice backdrops .
    Next week already is mapped out so not much play time ordered.

Fedex caught up with me today and presented me an invoice for £40 for the import duties on the Q100 and associated parts from bms battery .
    I was expecting it .
    later's Emma
    WP_20171027_11_24_58_Pro.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    voyager

Finally today I got some"me time".
    I managed to get out on the trike for a quick 9 mile circuit before darkness descended upon us , it was chilly against the wind but what can we expect in November.

Note to self , get some front lights

WP_20171121_15_14_05_Pro.jpg WP_20171121_15_14_14_Pro.jpg

dave r, FishFright, Threevok and 4 others like this.
  15. fixedfixer

fixedfixer Über Member

Very envious of your mild weather, had our first bit of snow on Monday, although a trike in the snow could be fun........

Last edited: 24 Nov 2017
    raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice