Project X , emma's folding e-trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Typical, eh ? All excited, kit arrives early :hyper: ... then the miserable body lets you down. :angry: After all you do to keep it comfy, exercised etc ... not fair ! :cursing:
GWS ! :hugs:

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Starting to feel a little better , here is a sneak preview of the goodies that arrives yesterday, 2 of everything but only one motor , this buy , £185 inc carriage of £45
WP_20171006_16_00_08_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
I don't have any fabrication skills, or indeed any particular interest in recumbent trikes. But I absolutely love these build threads.

hi Dt
glad you like the build threads , it's a way of getting more people interested in the dark side of cycling .

For me its a hobby that gives me plenty of fresh air and allows the brain to function with problem sorting , helping me keep this old body in reasonable shape and condition . Triking and Caravanning are two of my "hobbies" that gel and give us the best of both worlds. A break and exercise with a slower pace , rather than sitting in a tin box poluting the atmosphere with fumes

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Emma, would that type of hub suit a 9-speed cassette ? And how do you choose between electric hubs if the wheel size is 26"/700c or 20" ? I ask as one of our group is interested in e-assist on his existing 26" Performer trike, without breaking the bank !

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The bmsbattery website has the measurements of the hub , this can be compared with the trike , There are 3 different speeds available . 201 is the one used most by 26" plus wheel sizes and 328rpm on the smaller wheels , this is because the 328 has less torque.
The C version denotes the cassette hub version . We use the Q100 328 in our 20" builds , there is also a mid rated motor available on their website.

Next stage is strip the old kit off , so far it looks miserable outside.and today's enthusiasm has not been delivered .

Short term l will use the 2nd battery off my 20/20 until my funds build back up and I order a 36v 15ah bottle battery , that will give over 35miles range.

The X type has spent my "this months money " on a pas/water pump assembly.

Updates later with new photos as something happens, just heard a rattle at the door , could that be the enthusiasm being delivered.?

Later's Emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
I must have been short changed on the enthusiasm and time that arrived today.
I stripped off the unwanted controller led display and pedelec sensor . I fitted the rear wheel and adjusted the rear brake .another quick upgrade was the fitting of an eight speed 11-32 screw-on freewheel , the mech adjusted easily to accept it .
The wider BPM motor allowed me to space the hub to get the wider freewheel in without any problems . The pedelec sensor cable is 18" short and this afternoons little job is extending the cable ready to fit next week.

Later's Emma
WP_20171013_13_05_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20171013_13_05_32_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
WP_20171016_11_54_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20171016_11_54_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20171016_11_54_26_Pro.jpg
With the temperature above normal for this time of year but an overcast sky, the delivery of enthusiasm and time arrived about ten am this morning . Bang on time .This was unleased upon the trike with great gusto and by twelve the upgrade was finished . With the rear jacked in the air the speedo gave an indicated 22 mph as an off load total max speed , With the display recalibrated to 20" wheel and mph it all seems right , after a test fold to ensure the newly loomed cables fold in the right place , the seat was refitted and a test ride duly took place , with the starting of dampness lurking in the air it was decided to put it away for today . Tomorrow is another day.
I am pleased todays efforts were enough to finish the trike ready for more shake down rides before commissioning it into service.
With the new tyres and the 8 speed freewheel it is only waiting for the funds to get a 36v 15ah battery to increase the range to an estimated 35 miles.

regards Emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

the new bottle battery arrived yesterday ., it took 7 hours to charge the 36v 15ah Samsung celled battery on it's first charge.This new battery is almost 18" long , and not very light, but should be good for around 40 mikes range.

The battery was followed this morning with some time , enthusiasm and sunshine arriving about ten am , that in itself a rare occurrence in late October.

Battery was duly fitted this morning and a test ride prove well . The final shakedown rides will follow in the next few weeks and hopefully a few shots with nice backdrops .
Next week already is mapped out so not much play time ordered.

Fedex caught up with me today and presented me an invoice for £40 for the import duties on the Q100 and associated parts from bms battery .
I was expecting it .
later's Emma
WP_20171027_11_24_58_Pro.jpg

fixedfixer

Veteran
Very envious of your mild weather, had our first bit of snow on Monday, although a trike in the snow could be fun........

Last edited:
Top Bottom