Puncture repair kits.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
leave the backing on

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've found that squeezing the patch edges together, firmly, that backing just splits in the middle. Then it is simple to peel off from the centre to the edge.

Colin_P

Guru
As far as I understand it the backing is a new fangled idea which does away with the French chalk of yesteryear which neutralised any over spilt glue sticking the tube to the tyre.

When you come to fix the next puncture you will find the backing will largely have turned to dust anyway.

jay clock

Massive member
I have gone over to new tubes every time.. I do have some Park self adhesive ones but never had to use them. It must be over 8 to 10 years since I actually repaired one

tobykenobi

Über Member
I find the backing comes off easily if you leave the glue to dry long enough.

I repair tubes as a kind of "virtue signalling" I guess - given the cheapness of replacement tubes. Unless the hole is near the valve then I bin as I have never satisfactorily repaired one there.

I once got a job where, as part of the interview, you had to demonstrate how to perform a task in 5-10 minutes. I demonstrated a puncture repair.

biking_fox

Guru
Use the glueless patches readily available everywhere now many brands. Just press on, no glue, no backing, no fuss.
But prior to their invention I just left the backing on.

(I carry a new tube for roadside replacement, and then fix the old one at home in comfort)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As an observation on puncture repair kits, do any of you find as I do that when sticking a patch down, the clear plastic basking is a bugger and occasionally pulls the edge of the patch away from the tube when being removed?

I fix tubes at home, just replace for new out on the road.

Any tips to avoid this?
Lift one edge slightly before sticking it to the tube. If it still lifts, add a bit more glue in the join, smooth it down and let it dry (actually melt together).

Top Bottom