Puncture repair kits.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Use the glueless patches readily available everywhere now many brands. Just press on, no glue, no backing, no fuss.
But prior to their invention I just left the backing on.

(I carry a new tube for roadside replacement, and then fix the old one at home in comfort)

Indeed, always carry two tubes or one if its mtb and just saddlebag and repair at home. do have a set of glueless patches as backup.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Leave the backing on.
It's not substantial enough to do any damage, and will slowly fall apart on a tube that's in use.
If you insist on removing it, peel off from the middle after having split it by folding the patch in half, backing side outside. Some patches have perforations in the backing to make the split easy.

Advice on instant patches should be accompanied by a hint on what make of patch and what tyres and pressures you run. Something that works well on a 26x1.75 tube in a 26x1.75 tyre at 35 psi may be an abject failure on a 700x18-23 tube in a 700x25 tyre at 135 psi.

FWIW, if I end up using both my spare tubes, I use the Park instant patches (on 700x28@80psi). They hold well over the medium term, but will get leaky over a year or so, and subsequent punctures stretching and unstretching the tube. My punctured tubes go in a heap at home, for repair in a batch, so they all get relatively fresh glue that's not been hanging about in an opened tube for a year or three.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I carry two tubes and a repair kit. Over the past three or four years that has been total overkill, with about one puncture a year.

In theory I mend tubes at home. In practice, I haven't done so for a while.

Yes, I like to remove the backing. As above either fold it to split down the middle (often works), or—carefully—run a scalpel across the middle. On the odd occasion that I've left it on, nothing terrible has happened.

Modern tyres are wonderful! Light, flexible, grippy, puncture-resistant.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My tubes get patched, inflated and hung up to test then sucked flat and rolled tight and taped.

The plastic backing is easy to remove if you lift it and hold the feathered edge of the patch with a thumbnail. The tube then gets batted about with a handful of talc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lift one edge slightly before sticking it to the tube. If it still lifts, add a bit more glue in the join, smooth it down and let it dry (actually melt together).
Remembered a bit more about this when fixing a tube today - smooth it down with the removed foil, not the plastic or paper (or your skin, as it's a mild irritant). Any still-curing rubber is a lot less keen on sticking to the foil than anything else handy.

tyred

Legendary Member
Put the tube on a hard surface and rub the back of the patch with the back of tyre leaver or something from the centre to the edges a few times, pressing the patch into the tube in the process and the plastic or foil should come of easily. If it doesn't the patch isn't stuck properly.

As a child I used to "help" my Dad patch car, lorry or tractor tubes and he always did that and said it made sure the patch was properly glued in place and I have always done likewise when patching an inner tube.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
All of you are missing the crucial step.

1. Repair the p*ncture.
2. Mutter the incantation, "Hocus pocus, abracadabra, stick down you little bastard".
3. Inflate the tube SLOWLY with gritted teeth listening for any hissing.
4. Cycle the next three miles in a special "gentle cycle" where you slow to a crawl and make a pained expression at any bumps in the road.
5. Fixed.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm getting so I prefer to patch at home. I always use a new tube in the tire, and a patched one for the spare. This is because I always seem to have the small patch repair kits where the glue goes dry directly before you need it. Also, at home I can clamp the tube for better adhesion.

Top Bottom