Puncture repair outfits.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I visited an LBS yesterday and purchased, amongst other things, a puncture outfit, branded Raleigh. It was £2:99. I opened it this morning just to have a gander and was surprised to see it only contained a small tube of solution and half a dozen patches. No sandpaper, no little block of chalk, no yellow wax crayon and not even one of those little rubber condoms you can use on old fashioned valves. What a rip-off. It is enough to put you off getting punctures.

Cack - spend your money on Scabs or Park Tools super patch - no farting on with adhesives - just stick and go
I have found the Park Tools one better.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Undeniably glueless patches are better than no patches when faced with a flat. However reviews on these glueless patches do not encourage me to bother with them. They may be good as a temporary fix but I will carry on doing proper repairs with glue.

tyred

Legendary Member
Rema Tip-Top - The Rolls Royce of puncture repair kits. They even still include a piece of rubber for a Woods valve.

Lee_M

Guru
Undeniably glueless patches are better than no patches when faced with a flat. However reviews on these glueless patches do not encourage me to bother with them. They may be good as a temporary fix but I will carry on doing proper repairs with glue.

never mind the reviews, they're great, in fact I think the repairs are probably better than the original tubes! I have tubes on my bike with the park patches and they have been on there for about 3 months with no problem whatsoever

numbnuts

Legendary Member
glueless patches +1

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Then I would hazard a guess that the reviewers are not using them properly.
With patches you do have to prepare the puncture/inner tube as you would for normal glue and patches.
If you stick one on and hope for the best they will fail.

I have had a Park Tools patch on the tube of my commuting bike tyre (running at 120psi) for over a year now with no problems.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What Ianrauk said.... reviewers don't know sh!t.

I use a variety of glueless patches, no particular favourite brand.

Rough up the tube with sandpaper, stick patch on, then hold firmly with thumb and index finger 'til thumb goes numb, or a minute or so to ensure a good bond.

seem to last for years... no temporary about it.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think I will open a puncture kit at work tomorrow to find out what's inside.
We've had three returned today - unopened - what's that all about?
I'm a fan of leeches myself.

simon.r

Person
Not sure if they still do, but Halfords used to sell sheets of rubber patch material that you could cut to size. They also sold tubes of solution separately. Worked out far cheaper than any of the alternatives.

Diggs

Veteran
I got a few kits at home, to repair tubes when I get back, either freebies (shows, rides etc) or poundshop ones, all have had the expected bits included, all seem to have done the job. I have a packet of stick ons that I now need to replace (lost most of them!) that I take out just in case.

Top Bottom