Puncture to Mileage Ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I reckon I've only had 4 punctures in about 40,000 miles since I started cycling 4 years ago.

So, 1 every 10K miles.

Anyone beat that?

Who's got the worst ratio?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
That's quite impressive - whay tyres do you use?

Don't know about punctures per mile but I had 3 visitations in a single one-way commute about a year ago...!

NeilT21

I'm pretty new to this having only started cycling last summer. I have only cycled just over 1000km almost all of it on tarmac, but so far have had no punctures. I do run Conti Gatorskin tyres which I was advised were pretty bomb-proof, so that may have a positive effect. New bike this month came with Conti Ultra Sports, so we'll see whether that makes a difference. BTW - kudos on averaging 10k miles per year - that's pretty hardcore in my book!

cuberider

Über Member
Ive not had one in at least 6 years although I dont do high mileage. The wife had one in September and shes been cycling for about a year and a half.

Don't know about punctures per mile but I had 3 visitations in a single one-way commute about a year ago...!
Knowing what tyres the OP used won't help you deduce anything about the tyres. It does tell you a lot about the terrain he frequents though.
The only way to figure out if a tyre is good against punctures is to count the number of little glass cuts in a tyre and put that in a ratio with actual punctures that deflated the tyre. In other words, 1 deflation per ten cuts.

That would give you an idea of the tyre's tenacity. It is relatively easy to do too. Every time you get a puncture, you have to remove the tube, so just use a pen to add a little line somewhere on the tyre each time you fix a puncture. At the end of the tyre's life, examine it carefully, folding it flat as you move around the perimeter and count the little cuts.

My hypothesis is that thinner tyres will have a higher ratio than thicker tyres.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru

I've tried a few; basic Rubino, pro rubino, mavics, pro endurance 4, and currently Conti 4 seasons.

I do scrub them after every ride though.

I ride on a mix of rural and B roads typically in most conditions. Rarely venture into town centres though.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've fixed 6 punctures in 6000 miles, most of those were in 2011 however, after choosing different tyres my puncture rate dropped considerably, the last puncture was caused by a Thorn through a Schwalbe Durano 25c tyre, the rest were caused by glass, 3 punctures in a Kenda Kaliente 23c, 1 in a Michelin Krylion Carbon 23c, 1 in a Schwalbe Citizen folding bike tyre.

I now mostly use continental tyres.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a good year last year and did about 3000 miles without the Fairy calling. For me if I start getting a few of them I ditch the tyre, it just isn't worth it as I can struggle getting the wheel off the bike (the rest I can do, but I need to get Mr Summerdays sometimes to undo the bolt).

matiz

Guru
I had 7 punctures in the first 120 miles with the bontrager pastry specials on my new trek I switched to luganos and I am now now on my fourth set with no visits from the fairy

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Good going! come and ride round here in hedge cutting season, that seems to last from august to feburary.
my worst ride was 7 yes 7 in about 40 miles all different thorns, as soon as i see clippings i go back and find a new route
I carry at least 2 tubes usually 3 and patches so i've always managed to get home, makes no difference what tyres you use as blackthorn or hawthorn will go through walking boots and car tyres, trust me, I've had them both.

Top Bottom