Pushy Bristol BMW driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I had not thought about the possibility of the driver going for a flag. Certainly when you play it back it look like he is focusing on something behind the rider. Does not make it any less stupid or dangerous though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Anyone would think BMWs didn't have electric mirror adjustment!

As do Kia but I often have to adjust mine after the car wash as it moves the entire housing.

But after looking at this a few times I think it is the flag he is after. He certainly didnt try to push the rider.

What was the outcome, does anyone know?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well, I expected Steve to say the driver was greeting the cyclist with a friendly wave or high 5 and a bonus "Hiya" close pass at speed...sort of like doffing your hat in Edwardian times to a neighbour.

Thanks Origamist. Im pleased you have realised that I dont have knee jerk reactions when it comes to vehicles and bikes like many people on here. It doesnt bother me when I upset people on here when I express the opinion that the cyclist is wrong (God forbid).

Cyclists can get it wrong on the road but in this case it is certainly the motorist.

Mile195

Veteran
That's weird. I've just put a thread on about Moped riders doing the same thing. Maybe this IS unfortunately a new "thing".

Origamist

Legendary Member
As do Kia but I often have to adjust mine after the car wash as it moves the entire housing.

But after looking at this a few times I think it is the flag he is after. He certainly didnt try to push the rider.

What was the outcome, does anyone know?

I prefer to wash my own car - it's the only upper-body work-out I get.

He shoves the cyclist in the hip (according to the cyclist) - if he's going for the mirror or flag, he's got poor spatial awareness and he's still a dagerous tool.

Outcome - press and social media shaming as far as I can see. More might follow...

Reactions: mjr

Origamist

Legendary Member
"A spokesman from Avon and Somerset Police said: "We have had a report of an incident between a cyclist and someone in a car in Horfield last night.

"The cyclist reported the incident, which happened in Wordsworth Road to us at about 9.15pm, advising that he had been pushed by someone in a white car which went past him earlier in the evening.

"We are treating the matter as common assault and police enquiries are continuing."

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/moment...tory-28881017-detail/story.html#ixzz42JETtUMp
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you look at his eyes he is not looking at the cyclist, he is looking at the wing mirror. He doesn't appear to be shouting or angry. He could actually be adjusting his wing mirror.

Either that or he is trying to grab the flag on the back of the bike. I don't think he is trying to push him off.

I think this would really struggle in court.

Is there any more to the story?
If you need any insight into the area it happened, it is quite normal to see drivers and passengers not wearing their seatbelts. It is also not really somewhere that you go unless you live there as it's landlocked to the north and east, so he'll be local. And he has no reason to be on that side of the road other than to give the cyclist a fright. The bus managed to pass the cyclist without coming that close.

It's also an area that has quite a few cyclists in it, as there are a couple of useful cycle paths which cut across where the cars can't go.

But the local policeman there is often seen out on his bike, and is really nice. He also issues lots of tickets to cars parked obstructing pavements!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Im pleased you have realised that I dont have knee jerk reactions when it comes to vehicles and bikes like many people on here.
I misread that because from past posts, it seems like you do have knee jerk reactions when it comes to vehicles and bikes, but usually kicking the cyclist while most kick the motorist.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4187397, member: 9609"]You seem to be the only person going on about this "flag" - can you account for your whereabouts last night ? did you happen to be in the Horfield area last night? do you happen to own a BMW sir ?[/QUOTE]

I originally thought it was a recumbent.

Top Bottom