Putting rear wheel back on trouble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Probably silly question but I was Washing my bike but I haven’t been able to get rear wheel back on as every time I try to the chain crosses over is there something I’m missing

even though the chain Looks like this when wheel is out

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to pull the derailleur back and slip the wheel in and the chain on the cassette, then drop the axle into the drop outs

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nothing amiss there. You need to fit the rear wheel cogs onto the lower stretch of chain in the picture. You might have to get your hands dirty by lifting the upper stretch of chain out of the way while you drop the wheel in.
Once you are familiar with the action required it can be done just as easily with the bike the right way up. Make sure the wheel is properly seated in the dropouts before you tighten the quick release.

Once you've got it sussed take the wheel off then put it back on again. Do this a few times. That way if you are out and you get a back tyre puncture you can be confident you can deal with it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Pull the jockey wheel in the right if the picture upwards. Then push the jockey wheel in the left of the picture right. This will put the chain into a backwards c shape. Put the shifter into a middle gear and lower the cassette into the c shaped chain before dropping the skewers into the drop outs

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Lol I didn’t need your help awkardlyknow I figured it out as soon as after I wrote it as I looked at mtb (after I wrote this) which I haven’t washed yet. (I put the chain on the smallest cog ring (biggest at front smallest at cassette) then I was able to put it in properly. Most of the time its ussually very easy however I got a lot of oil on my hands (should of worn my pair of gloves. Anyway does anyone know how to get the oil from the chain (is oil the right word?) off your hands as it’s always hard to get off especially when it ends up on your knuckles but thanks anyway guys

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Swarfega or similar.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The very best DIY oil/grease removal method I have found is to sprinkle a little biological washing powder and an equal amount of sugar on your hands and then wash with a splash of water.
The bio powder is great at grease removal and the sugar crystals add an element of abrasiveness, similar to the grit in heavy duty hand cleaners and cosmetic exfoliaters. :okay:

Top Bottom