Quick Clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why is this contrary to your normal advice @Globalti? And if so why would you suggest it in this case? I've got some 'muc off' wet lube as part of my cleaning kit so based on advice above was planning on a nightly Mickle with that, and a weekly re-lube of all moving parts after my full Friday wash-down.

Simply because 3 in 1, engine oil or any other kind of mineral oil is too sticky for a bike chain and will attract dirt and quickly become a sticky black mess as the dirt gets ground up and itself grinds the metal producing metal paste. However as long as you can keep your hands and trouser legs away from the chain a heavy sticky oil will probably protect a chain better for daily use in wet salty conditions. The alternatives are chain lubricants, which are formulated for bike chains and consist of a wax in a volatile solvent, which carries the wax into the links then evaporates off leaving the chain "dry" so that it won't attract dirt. Finish Line Dry is one of many that do this.

If you do use a heavy mineral oil, I'd suggest you clean the chain regularly with paraffin so as to get all the trapped dirt off it.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
@Globalti
Thanks for clarifying, I can understand your thinking now, I didn't realise about 3in1 attracting dirt and grit.
But although I understand your thinking better it's left me more confused about the best route forward!

This is the kit I have -
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/green-oil-e...d||pkw||pmt||prd|5360685548uk&dest=1&curr=GBP

It includes bike cleaner, chain lube, chain degreaser and ecogrease. I presume they're all 'wet' and don't contain the wax and volatile solvent that you mention in chain lubes, but maybe I'm wrong?

Based on the advice so far in this thread my plan was to Mickle with a rag and the chain lube each evening, then on a Friday -
1) wash the whole bike inc frame, wheels and mech with the bike cleaner and brushes/sponge
2) wipe down whole bike and chain with a rag and use the degreaser on the chain
3)Wipe excess off the chain, give the whole bike another rub over with a dry rag then leave to dry fully
4) Come back to it when dry and lightly re-lube the chain with the chain lube and Lube the other moving parts with the ecogrease.

Would be grateful if anyone can review and critique my proposed regime above. I realise I'm on the verge of getting a bit OCD with this but the different products and advice seem rather confusing.

Also, these vids are interesting.

What does everyone think of the spraying of the mech with WD40 first to ease the grime off before washing? Seems to make sense, though I don't think I'll be using it then again at the end to lube the parts as he does; will stick with the lubes in my cleaning pack. Also, he is cleaning a bike with canti brakes I think? My new one will have discs so I can't think spraying WD anywhere near them will be too clever?

Thanks again for any advice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes you are coming across as a bit over-obsessive about it and yes, you will settle into a routine once you've got the measure of how long the lubes are lasting and how much cleaning is needed.

I don't know what is in that degreaser but I suspect that degreasing then lubricating won't work as the two products will fight each other; you will need to remove the chain completely, degrease, clean, dry and then re-lube.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I don't know what is in that degreaser but I suspect that degreasing then lubricating won't work as the two products will fight each other; you will need to remove the chain completely, degrease, clean, dry and then re-lube
Ah, so effectively the degreaser would replace the role of the WD40 in the 5-min bike cleaning video above in terms of where it comes in the routine. Think I've got it now. Ta.
If you saw the state of my current bike you might understand why I'm obsessed with ensuring my new £1k machine isn't allowed to degenerate into the same state!

Top Bottom