Quick release and single speed/fixed bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Quick question....

Can quick release skewer be used on the rear wheel of a fixed/single speed bike?

They all seem to come with the traditional bolt type of axel, I'm assuming this would make punctures a real pain carrying extra tools etc... Would a quick release work?

Thanks!

Yes, but it might make it more tricky getting the chain tension right. You lose the option of walking the wheel one side at a time. Just be sure you do it up tight enough to take the force that will be put on it when honking up a hill.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use one on my singlespeed bike, no problem.

forward-facing-ss-dropouts.jpg

(As you can see, I bodged it from an old multi-speed bike.) There are little threaded adjusters through the back of the dropouts which can be used to centre the wheel and take up any slack in the chain.

When you think about it, the wheel is no more likely to be pulled loose on a singlespeed bike than if the chain was wrapped around a rear derailleur. I suppose the only difference is that climbing is done in a higher gear so more force is put through the chain then. Having said that, I've climbed short 10% slopes standing up on that bike and despite weighing 15+ stone, I have never pulled the wheel loose.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
QR on a SS is indeed no problem. I've also done fixed on a QR in the dim and distant.
I suspect that it's 'not done' because you're not allowed QR wheels in a velodrome - they'd rip a wooden track to pieces in a crash as the QR lever dug in.

I've found QR's do slip on fixed/single speed conversions with track ends and so have used a tug nut to keep the wheel in place (image of tug nut on horz drop out, not track ends)...

Chain%2BTensioner.JPG

Recently though switched to a bolt axle and so don't need the tug nut and the tool you need to carry is pretty light weight...

Pedros%20Trixie%20Fixed%20Gear%20Tool.jpg

Taking a bolt axle wheel off only takes a few seconds more that QR.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I've brought myself a langster off gumtree, it had a missing front wheel so I'm going to pop my spare on and use it in the single speed side to start with. The rear tyre looks fine but I was thinking to put a quick release on to save time. I have a small spanner that I could carry tho so not a Hugh deal its just all very new to me. No doubt I'll have more questions soon. I can't wait for my first commute on it next week tho!!

Will post some pictures once I've got my wheel and pedal etc on.... Exciting times

D

Deleted member 1258

I've found QR's do slip on fixed/single speed conversions with track ends and so have used a tug nut to keep the wheel in place (image of tug nut on horz drop out, not track ends)...

Chain%2BTensioner.JPG

Recently though switched to a bolt axle and so don't need the tug nut and the tool you need to carry is pretty light weight...

Taking a bolt axle wheel off only takes a few seconds more that QR.

Thats the problem, if you use a bike with track ends there is a tendency for the axle to get pulled forward, even with a nutted axle its difficult to get the nut tight enough to stop that, it would be even more difficult to get a quick release tight enough, with a bike with drop outs I suspect it would be less of a problem. Getting a nutted axle undone at the roadside isn't a major problem, as long as you haven't leaned hard on the nut in the workshop with a very big spanner. My Pearson is fitted with wheel nuts and I just carry an extra spanner in my tool bag.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think the prejudice against qr with fixed comes from the historic 'banning' of wing-nuts on velodromes. qr systems look a bit like wingnuts, but can be done up much tighter.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
I've already suffered one puncture on my single speed, the normal nut and bolt didn't really add much stress when removing the rear wheel so i'm happy to carry a little spanner with me.

plus the axel looks fixed onto my rear wheel, i wouldn't want to start messing with it

thanks for the input guys!

Top Bottom