Rain and wet feet VS commuter cyclists. Should I innovate?

Should I design a pair of waterproof trousers with integrated overshoes?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlie gb

Is anyone else tired of getting wet feet on the commute to work? Is your current solution suboptimum? Should I do something about it?

Wet it rains, personally….taking another form of transport is not a solution! Mudguards only do half the job. Overshoes are bulky to carry and a pain to put on. Shoe changes are inconvenient and need foresight. Available waterproof trousers stop working at the ankle. Ponchos are ugly and impractical. And I can name over 5 other solutions that are just ridiculous!

As an entrepreneur and cyclist I’ve decided to try to solve this problem. My idea is for a pair of waterproof trousers with integrated overshoes. Something simple, functional and stylish. It’s not an easy design problem to crack but I think it’s possible.

What do you think? A worthy problem to solve? A product you would potentially buy?

Thanks for your comments!

Charlie

(ps - working name is Hoof Bike Wear)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had exactly the same thing for my motorbike. Made by a company called Hein Gerich, I think.

I didnt like them. Because you are wearing shoes to begin with the shoe part has to be very big, which takes away feel. If this was applied to cycle shoes you would also need to think about the ability to add cleats. Mine were bulky when packed away.

The big problem was the big plastic sole. This could be one away with if it was replaced with a toecap and straps, but that would be cumbersome.

I wear waterproof trousers and overboots and they work fine. The other plus is that I can wear them seperately and my original cycle shoe is in contact with the pedals.

I have looked at your site and a sketch drawing of the product does not fill me with confidence. Some photos of the product being worn and a video showing the results would be a big help.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
charlie gb

charlie gb

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. I couldn’t find the motorbike product you mentioned but it’s an interesting comparison. I think the big difference to my product idea is the bulky sole. My concept would have an overshoe design similar to regular bike overshoes so they work with cleats and aren’t bulky.

Yeah the sketches are pretty basic for now! As an entrepreneur you’ve got to start somewhere though and there is no point wasting time and money until you have some market validation. That’s why I’m asking the forum for some feedback to see if there is a need for a better product. That said, I’m working on a prototype so will hopefully get some photos/videos up soon.

Charlie

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
By what you are describing it would be like a pair of rain trousers with some kind overboot attached to the bottom. So you would wear your cycling shoes and your shoes would clip into the pedals as normal. Or have I got it wrong?

Steve

OP
OP
charlie gb

charlie gb

Exactly. Basically it's combining a pair of waterproof trousers with a pair of overshoes. The advantages would be:
- Only one light and compact item to carry
- A more subtle, stylish product
- Quick to put on, take off and pack away
- No opening between your legs and your feet

Charlie

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick to put on they wouldn't be. You'd have to get your shoes through the legs. Having baggy leggins will fowl the chain.

Waterproof overshoes combined with Aldi overtrousers work very well indeed. No water ingress !

OP
OP
charlie gb

charlie gb

@fossyant - That's the idea of having a zip down the back. You won't need to take your shoes off to get the trousers on and therefore they won't need to be so baggy so you remove the risk of getting caught in the chain.

@Mort - What are they!? I definitely had something a more stylish and compact in mind.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't see it working. Overshoes tend to wear faster than waterproof pants, and what do you do on dry days - carry the pant/overshoe combo in addition to overshoes. Me I'll carry overshoes for wet/cold and overtrousers for hissing rain. Simple.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Don't fancy the idea: by default putting them on and taking them off would require the skills of a contortionist.
Ime overshoes get wetter faster and dry slower than waterproof trousers.
What if you want to take off/put on only one of the combo?
Also, as said above, overshoes wear out faster than trousers, will the lot have to be binned?

screenman

Legendary Member
Get it right, price it right, and market it right and it will sell.

I wish you luck and if you ever need a tester

400bhp

Guru
Is anyone else tired of getting wet feet on the commute to work? Is your current solution suboptimum? Should I do something about it?

Wet it rains, personally….taking another form of transport is not a solution! Mudguards only do half the job. Overshoes are bulky to carry and a pain to put on. Shoe changes are inconvenient and need foresight. Available waterproof trousers stop working at the ankle. Ponchos are ugly and impractical. And I can name over 5 other solutions that are just ridiculous!

As an entrepreneur and cyclist I’ve decided to try to solve this problem. My idea is for a pair of waterproof trousers with integrated overshoes. Something simple, functional and stylish. It’s not an easy design problem to crack but I think it’s possible.

What do you think? A worthy problem to solve? A product you would potentially buy?

Thanks for your comments!

Charlie

(ps - working name is Hoof Bike Wear)

Already done.

Northwave Celsius.

OP
OP
charlie gb

charlie gb

@fossyant - Thanks for the good points. The wear and tear is something I'll have to consider in the design. The aim is for the design to be compact enough you can always carry the trousers (with integrated overshoes) with you. They won't be much bigger than your regular waterproof trousers. You'll only ever need to carry this one item. If you don't want the overshoes you just roll them up inside the ankle cuffs.

@Pat "5mph" - Appreciate the feedback. Actually they should be really easy to put on because of the zip at the rear.

@screenman - thanks for the positivity!

@Hill Wimp - have to laugh ^_^

@400bhp - I couldn't find what you are referring to. Can you share a link?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Quick to put on they wouldn't be. You'd have to get your shoes through the legs. Having baggy leggins will fowl the chain.

Waterproof overshoes combined with Aldi overtrousers work very well indeed. No water ingress !
My partial solution to the problem of water filtering down the top of my overshoes is to strap a pair of reflective bands around the top of the overshoes. This helps prevent water entering in all but fairly hard rain.

Top Bottom