Rain Rain go away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
Oooh rollinstok, you're going to get me going.. "Climate change" is more accurate because as a result of increased temperatures there will be more convection (hot air rising that makes clouds) and therefore more rain. Generally increasing temperature causes increased instabilities in weather systems.
And if there is more cloud cover then more solar radiation is reflected back into space = Global cooling. :whistle:

tyred

Legendary Member
Oh Lordy. Global warming debate:popcorn:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Feller on the radio this morning made a half-hearted attempt at drawing a distinction between rain and showers and then finished off by saying that today we'll get both. That was really enlightening...

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's annoying here in Ayrshire, theres always one big turd of a raincloud hanging right overhead but everywhere else apart from straight up has white clouds and blue skies. I'm convinced it waits for me to go to the garage to get the bike, thats when it starts firing rain at me.

Must be something in the AYR-shire; hence my avatar :thumbsup:. Anyway it's about time the rest of the UK got a taster of what we have as "normal" weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I really, really need to change my pads, really. :wacko: Worn out last week with the rain, almost gone now. It's not as though I have an excuse - there are spare pads in my toolbox !

Got a puncture to fix on my son's bike tonight (text to say slow puncture - had to cycle back home from school), so might as well do my pads pronto.

potsy

Rambler
I really, really need to change my pads, really. :wacko: Worn out last week with the rain, almost gone now. It's not as though I have an excuse - there are spare pads in my toolbox !

Got a puncture to fix on my son's bike tonight (text to say slow puncture - had to cycle back home from school), so might as well do my pads pronto.
My new pads for the commuter came yesterday, disc brakes which I have never changed before.
2000 miles, a lot of which has been wet, gritty, muddy TPT commuting have all but finished them,
will get round to it this weekend (probably) in the meantime there will be more riding in the rain :rain:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
24 degrees over here...^_^

rollinstok

Given that in the late 70's & early 80's, climate scientists were confidently predicting that we were on the brink of a new ice age I think I'll take climate change it as it comes.:whistle:

True, then immediately after that shattering prediction came the devastating news that we would all be dead by 2050 because of the ozone layer being destroyed by my armpit spray. Scientists can "prove" anything if their funding is dependant on it. TBH I dont think anyone has the answers yet.

daSmirnov

True, then immediately after that shattering prediction came the devastating news that we would all be dead by 2050 because of the ozone layer being destroyed by my armpit spray. Scientists can "prove" anything if their funding is dependant on it. TBH I dont think anyone has the answers yet.

Ozone depletion isn't the best example to use, its probably the worst for what you're implying. It shows what *can* happen when things get rolling, satellites detect larger hole in the ozone than we had predicted, expeditions sent to investigate, show the hole is even larger and confirm CFCs are largely responsible. World gets together CFC use cut in half by the 1990. Ozone holes have since stabilised and are projected to recover in 40 or 50 years.

Global cooling in the 1970s had very little support within the scientific community, lets face it, when some guy is writing a book it probably ain't the best science, heck even in the early 70s actual climatologists were starting to get hints of anthropogenic warming, and that could be found in peer-reviewed journals, unlike global cooling which could only be found in the press, and in a couple of author's books.

green1

Über Member
Global cooling in the 1970s had very little support within the scientific community, lets face it, when some guy is writing a book it probably ain't the best science, heck even in the early 70s actual climatologists were starting to get hints of anthropogenic warming, and that could be found in peer-reviewed journals, unlike global cooling which could only be found in the press, and in a couple of author's books.
Just because something has little support doesn't mean its wrong. The problem with the climate change issue is that all the scientist are herding like sheep around certain theories instead of looking at it open mindily and trying it rip chunks out of the current 'accepted' theory like good science should be trying to do.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Actually the theories are developed to try and explain the observations. Meteorological observations, which have been made for hundreds of years, show that there has been significant warming over the last few decades. Twenty years ago climate scientists were saying they were observing mean temperatures (that is to say temperatures averaged over the whole year) increasing and that this could be due to increased CO2 in the atmosphere. At the time they were saying maybe we ought to be doing something. Now the evidence is stacking up. Climate modellers made models to test, among other ideas,the hypothesis that ever increasing and measurable levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere were causing the observed temperature rises. These models work, none of the other models did. Contrary to what you read in the newspapers scientists and governments all over the world have come to the conclusion that human activity is causing climate change. Large multinational oil and gas companies have done their best to muddy the waters because obviously they potentially have a lot to lose. It is very uncomfortable to accept that our activities are causing global changes that will over time for example drive people in low lying countries from their homes and cause potentially huge changes in our lifestyle, but I'm afraid we just have to accept it. If we carry on ignoring it it will just be worse in the long run.
btw a group of scientists recently reviewed the scientific literature from the 70s and global cooling was not a theory taken seriously by the scientific community at that time.

Top Bottom