Rain Rain go away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ethan

Just because something has little support doesn't mean its wrong. The problem with the climate change issue is that all the scientist are herding like sheep around certain theories instead of looking at it open mindily and trying it rip chunks out of the current 'accepted' theory like good science should be trying to do.

That's far from the case.
Even if it wasn't, why would they challenge an accepted theory? It is accepted for a reason. If the overwhelming majority of evidence suggests X is the answer, then X shall remain the answer until further evidence is provided.
I'm not aware of to many scientists suggesting evolutionary theory is incorrect and needs to have chunks ripped out of it again
At present, the majority of the evidence supports the theory that CFCs are largely responsible for the climate change. Until there is evidence to suggest otherwise, the accepted theory will stay in place - and rightly so.
There are many teams trying to find out why the earths climate is changing, funnily enough all the evidence they are gathering is only providing more support to the 'accepted theory'.
Isn't that kinda, sorta, maybe how science works?

Anecdotal evidence such as 'oh its raining, isn't there a drought?' doesn't disprove climate change, anymore than 'Its really warm this winter' proves climate change.
People not understanding the difference between weather and climate really hacks me off (Luckily, I'm an Environmental science student!).
Climate change is 100% clear in climatic data. Why its happening is slightly less clear (although I'm willing to say that if the current theory turns out to be wrong, I will buy you all a spesh S-works venge.) its effects, even less clear still.
What we can say for certain, it will be shite.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I live in the (remains of) the Temperate Rainforest of western British Columbia. It is often anything but temperate, especially right now, in flood season. Some fools still insist on living on riverbanks. Other fools put on their rain jackets and hop on their bikes. The biggest fools eschew mudguards. I spent Monday with my camera wrapped in Saran Wrap photographing some of them. Put up a gallery on the blog today.

Oh, and I have some climate change stuff on there too, if you do a site search (there's even a blog category).:whistle:

doctornige

April Showers. It's called that for an actual reason. May will be fine.

rollinstok

All I want is for the experts to say " warm air is moving in and its going to be a nice weekend "
They hardly ever do though, and when they do its invariably wrong.
If we cant trust the people who get paid a fortune to predict the next 5 days, how can we trust the people who are evincing the last 5 billion years and predicting the next 50 ?

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not very often us folks in the west of Scotland get the chance to gloat about the weather, but it has to be said.......... We've got away with the odd shower for the past couple of weeks :smile:. But I wish that cold wind from the north would give it a rest! Looks like a nice weekend in store here.

Camrider

True, then immediately after that shattering prediction came the devastating news that we would all be dead by 2050 because of the ozone layer being destroyed by my armpit spray. Scientists can "prove" anything if their funding is dependant on it. TBH I dont think anyone has the answers yet.

Why you use this as an anti science example is beyond me, science got this dead right and without scientific intervention we would have gone on using CFC's and the damage have been would not have been undone. Without an ozone layer life on this planet would be very difficult.

Camrider

All I want is for the experts to say " warm air is moving in and its going to be a nice weekend "
They hardly ever do though, and when they do its invariably wrong.
If we cant trust the people who get paid a fortune to predict the next 5 days, how can we trust the people who are evincing the last 5 billion years and predicting the next 50 ?

What makes you think meteorologists and climate scientists earn a fortune?

We live in one of the most interesting countries for weather and one of the most difficult places on the planet to get accurate predictions, so enjoy the unpredictability of of all. I'm really hoping Sunday's forecast is wrong otherwise its going to be a wet and windy audax ride, or stay in bed day.

Camrider

The problem with the climate change issue is that all the scientist are herding like sheep around certain theories instead of looking at it open mindily and trying it rip chunks out of the current 'accepted' theory like good science should be trying to do.

No the problem is such ignorant statements as this. Try actually reading some of actual science rather than regurgitate conspiracy theories you found on the web.

Top Bottom