Raleigh Record Sprint - Fixed gear or single speed conversion help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trebz

Trebz

Hi all

A little update.

The bike is now at the first mock up stage. I have had to cut back on the spending a little but so far have bought the following:

Wheels - Weinmann rims with Quando quick release hubs and 16 tooth single speed freewheel.
Riser handle bars
Kalloy bar stem
Kalloy seat post
Stronglight 46 tooth chainset (Looks like it's made from old bean cans, very badly put together)
Weinmann T500 brake calipers
Steel headset
Shimano sealed bottom bracket
Brake cables, inners and outers
Rim tape
Chain
Inner tubes
(I think that's everything)

The Dia Compe 3 brake lever was already in my parts bin, saved from my old mountain bike from the 90,s hehe.

Tyres taken from the original bike. In great condition.

Money spent so far:

£60 for the full bike
£127 for new parts
Less £30 as I sold the original brake calipers and levers

Total: £157

I have done the best i can with the chain, still not tight enough, i'll have to drill out the freewheel side dropout to match the other side, i'll then get the adjustment I need to have the chain tension correct.

When all that is done i'll be having the frame and fork powder coated in black or a nice candy red.

Mock up pictures below.

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

OP
OP
Trebz

Trebz

Nope, all straight and true matey. Does look odd on the picture i'll agree hehe

Has this bike had a front end collision which has bent the down tube at the lug? Or is it a noptical illusion?

IMG_0268.jpg

OP
OP
Trebz

Trebz

Just a quick update.

The rear drop out has been drilled and filed in order to gain better adjustment for chain tension, the rear mech side dropout now matches the other side. Chain tension is perfect. I marked out the drilling area with a scribe then used a 10mm drill followed by a little finishing with a junior hack saw and a file. Chain tension is now perfect. I also fitted the front brake cable and some old brake blocks in order to give the bike it's first run on the road. The five minute test ride went perfect, very light and easy to ride. The Stronglight chainset bends a little when peddling out of the saddle, i'm sure there is nothing to worry about as the bike will only have very steady and relaxed use. I have a Specialized FSR and 531 road bike for that. I would not suggest the use of a Stronglight chainset if doing anything more taxing than a quick run to the shop and back. They are clearly not for heavy usage.

One more thing, I may be swapping the Raleigh Record frame after all, I popped down to the local car boot sale this morning and snapped up this little beauty heheheh MMMAUUHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA !!!!!!!!!!

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

OP
OP
Trebz

Trebz

Your right there Jim, Reynolds 531, built circa 1952 by F.C.Parkes, Birmingham, which was the 'Lightweight' section of Sun Cycles.

Here's one renovated by another chap: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/674842116/in/set-72157604448844719

There are few pictures up there so click on the 'Next' button to view the others.

The plan now is to replace the Raleigh Record frame with the renovated and powder coated F.C.Parkes frame.

that second frame is lovely ,nice lugs ,is it reynolds ,looks good ,thatl b lovely when its painted

OP
OP
Trebz

Trebz

All

Project finished some time ago, apologies for not keeping this up to date. The bike rides very well indeed and I have completed several 15 mile training rides on it. I am using the bike as a general run about and as a training bike to get my legs working ready for my return to the MTB world. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of the mini project.

Thanks go out to Roy from Star Bikes in Hull. A good old pal of mine who helped source the parts. Roy also dished the back wheel for me. Star larker ;-)

GEDC1060.jpg

GEDC1061.jpg

GEDC1062.jpg

GEDC1064.jpg

GEDC1063.jpg

:-)

Very nice.

Well done that man.

Top Bottom