Range extender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

And can it be inferred that the range is also affected by the amount of uphills and how much lights are used - ?
Rather like electric cars. Decent range until winter sets in and you're using lights, wipers, demister / aircon, incar entertainment etc. on a longish journey. :wacko:
That's what I have always thought of electric cars would not want to drive one on the M6 🤠

CXRAndy

Guru
That's what I have always thought of electric cars would not want to drive one on the M6 🤠

There are plenty rapid >50kW chargers on the M6.

It's TRUE there is a range loss with EVs in winter but it's not as drastic as the EV haters like to make out.

One of the benefits is warming the cabin via mobile app or timer warms the battery pack also and this almost restores summer range capacity.

Whilst sat in the Jim jams I warm up my seats, cabin and steering wheel from the kitchen table. The car is defrosted warm and battery is fully warmed for maximum performance.

CXRAndy

Guru
But of course, if you're living nowhere near the M.6, could be an issue - ! ^_^

No, not really we live in the countryside, nearest rapid charger is some 22 miles away. I rarely use them. My EVs are invariably charged to 80% every morning. I would say >99% of the time I charge at home.

For anyone with off street parking, owning an EV with a 7kW home charge point is bliss :okay:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

There are plenty rapid >50kW chargers on the M6.

It's TRUE there is a range loss with EVs in winter but it's not as drastic as the EV haters like to make out.

One of the benefits is warming the cabin via mobile app or timer warms the battery pack also and this almost restores summer range capacity.

Whilst sat in the Jim jams I warm up my seats, cabin and steering wheel from the kitchen table. The car is defrosted warm and battery is fully warmed for maximum performance.
I don't hate them just think without infrastructure to charge them and a lot of improvement in the range then not for me; also what about the second hand market I know from experience that selling a used ebike is difficult.Think hydrogen is the best bet .
No, not really we live in the countryside, nearest rapid charger is some 22 miles away. I rarely use them. My EVs are invariably charged to 80% every morning. I would say >99% of the time I charge at home.

For anyone with off street parking, owning an EV with a 7kW home charge point is bliss :okay:
How long does it take to charge it to100% Andy .

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't hate them just think without infrastructure to charge them and a lot of improvement in the range then not for me; also what about the second hand market I know from experience that selling a used ebike is difficult.Think hydrogen is the best bet .

How long does it take to charge it to100% Andy .

Let me try and answer each of your points raised.

It goes back to the statistics
95% of all car journeys in the western world are less than 35 miles per day-think about that. 50% are using cars for only 2 mile journeys!
There are so few of us travelling long distance per outing. Why would you need to have 500 mile range when the statistics don't agree with usage?

Infrastructure is already here and will obviously get better, but in reality we don't actually need the amount of stations like petrol stations-because all properties that have off street parking have the facilities to charge at home- making literally millions of charging stations. I've said elsewhere >99% of all my charging is done at home.

Hydrogen will have a part to play in the future. Currently its too expensive to make 'Green' hydrogen by electrolysis. It takes 50kWatts of electrical energy from wind or solar etc to make 1 kg of liquid hydrogen. The vast majority of hydrogen is made from Steam Methane Reforming process- basically using hydrocarbons to create a hydrogen-extremely un green.

Toyota have their 2nd version of their hydrogen car the Mirai. Its starts at £50k rising to mid £60k for a top spec. In comparison to a mid and high performance Tesla Model 3 ( similar price bracket), there is no comparison in performance. The Mirai taking 7.8 seconds to 0-60 whilst the Tesla does it 3.9 seconds. Once you've driven an electric car, nothing matches the punch of torque from the battery fed motors. My lowly Leaf outguns hot hatches and big capacity engine cars when accelerating from 20mph upwards.

Second hand market is very strong because there is a bottleneck of supply against ravenous demand currently. Brought on by petrol shortages. BTW this was an artificially created shortage by some of the bigger oil companies wanting cheap labour drivers from the continent. What it actually did, was accelerate EV demand further

If I am charging at home and I have say 15% capacity remaining in our model 3, it charges at a rate of 27 miles per hour from a 7 kWatt home charge point. Max range around 315 miles. Never timed but would expect 10 hours to fully charge overnight. Car automatically decides when it need to begin charging to be ready for use at 7.30 am- We don't often charge to max, around 60-80% is far more than we need for each day.

When I stop at Superchargers they have charging rates of 120kWatts to 250kWatts for the newer models. Again you don't run down to empty maybe 10% and charge back upto 80%. Charging at these for the odd long journey is around 30 mins to 45 mins. Just enough time to force the family to have drink, stretch legs and go to loo.

I hope that helps explain my and others probably over enthusiastic delight of owning an EV. ;)

BTW some 90% if not more of all new cars purchases are done with lease/pcp deals. So not a lot of folk are laying out big sums upfront to run an EV. The savings in not buying petrol are significant to reduce overall monthly ownership of an EV :okay:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

95% of all car journeys in the western world are less than 35 miles per day-think about that. 50% are using cars for only 2 mile journeys!
There are so few of us travelling long distance per outing. Why would you need to have 500 mile range when the statistics don't agree with usage?

Infrastructure is already here and will obviously get better, but in reality we don't actually need the amount of stations like petrol stations-because all properties that have off street parking have the facilities to charge at home- making literally millions of charging stations. I've said elsewhere >99% of all my charging is done at home.

Hydrogen will have a part to play in the future. Currently its too expensive to make 'Green' hydrogen by electrolysis. It takes 50kWatts of electrical energy from wind or solar etc to make 1 kg of liquid hydrogen. The vast majority of hydrogen is made from Steam Methane Reforming process- basically using hydrocarbons to create a hydrogen-extremely un green.

Toyota have their 2nd version of their hydrogen car the Mirai. Its starts at £50k rising to mid £60k for a top spec. In comparison to a mid and high performance Tesla Model 3 ( similar price bracket), there is no comparison in performance. The Mirai taking 7.8 seconds to 0-60 whilst the Tesla does it 3.9 seconds. Once you've driven an electric car, nothing matches the punch of torque from the battery fed motors. My lowly Leaf outguns hot hatches and big capacity engine cars when accelerating from 20mph upwards.

Second hand market is very strong because there is a bottleneck of supply against ravenous demand currently. Brought on by petrol shortages. BTW this was an artificially created shortage by some of the bigger oil companies wanting cheap labour drivers from the continent. What it actually did, was accelerate EV demand further

If I am charging at home and I have say 15% capacity remaining in our model 3, it charges at a rate of 27 miles per hour from a 7 kWatt home charge point. Max range around 315 miles. Never timed but would expect 10 hours to fully charge overnight. Car automatically decides when it need to begin charging to be ready for use at 7.30 am- We don't often charge to max, around 60-80% is far more than we need for each day.

When I stop at Superchargers they have charging rates of 120kWatts to 250kWatts for the newer models. Again you don't run down to empty maybe 10% and charge back upto 80%. Charging at these for the odd long journey is around 30 mins to 45 mins. Just enough time to force the family to have drink, stretch legs and go to loo.

I hope that helps explain my and others probably over enthusiastic delight of owning an EV. ;)

BTW some 90% if not more of all new cars purchases are done with lease/pcp deals. So not a lot of folk are laying out big sums upfront to run an EV. The savings in not buying petrol are significant to reduce overall monthly ownership of an EV :okay:
Thanks for all the info I have had a lift in one when I lived in Cambridgeshire a Leaf I think it was and enjoyed the experience but not convinced it's for me range anxiety I think it's called.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

There really isn't any range worries

Sorry I cant help with your anxiety
Just not convinced about them and it's all getting rushed cleaner engines and better fuel economy would be better in my humble opinion.Think I read somewhere that Cummins the American truck engines are making a hydrogen engine ,can't see people in Texas driving a electric car .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
98CA7901-1EDB-4AF8-8FF1-9985624CA35E.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I presume you meant 95% are less than 5 miles. We really ought to be targeting not making those short journeys by car, if we truly want to go green, as well as make streets pleasant and liveable again..

We really need to move away from the model that promotes personal car ownership , regardless of how they are powered.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I presume you meant 95% are less than 5 miles. We really ought to be targeting not making those short journeys by car, if we truly want to go green, as well as make streets pleasant and liveable again..
Unless China India Brazil to name a few do something about climate change then electric cars here won't make one iota of difference.

Top Bottom