Rant about budget bikers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I'm no bike snob but when somebody tries to tell me that it makes sense to put a high end group set on a cheap frame as it's almost the same bike for a fraction of the price makes me want to tear my hair out. Especially when they say an entry level carbon fork is no better than an alloy fork. I know which I'd rather have.

I myself enjoy the design, materials & craftsmanship that has gone into a decent frame even if it's on the heavier side.

Wouldn't surprise me if some odd balls have fitted Dura Ace group sets on Triban 3's. Like putting wooden wheels on a Buggati Veyron.

Rant Over!

:cursing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You are a bike snob.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A high-end groupset probably costs a lot more than the frame on even most relatively expensive bikes, so I can't see there being much of a saving, especially when bike manufacturers can buy the groupsets in bulk, at much lower prices than us, one at a time!

I have never heard anybody suggest putting an expensive groupset on a cheap frame. It is usually the other way round - buy a good frame and wheels, and the groupset is more of an afterthought.

The best value is to buy a complete bike with the right spec. in the first place, preferably clearance stock of last year's model when the new range comes in.

But ... if anybody actually does suggest putting great bits on a crap frame, then I agree with you!

It doesn't have to make sense.

My best bicycle is only Centaur/Veloce, but I'm so slow I'd be just as good on an old Simplex 5-speed set-up.

Our family car is a diesel that will comfortable do 125mph, but I've never driven it over 100.

Most people we know have cars capable of significantly higher speeds.

There is little sense in most of the purchases most of us make.

As my dear friend Lear said when asking for some knights he had no use for, "Oh, reason not the need".

OP, you are a bike snob. It does no harm to anyone, but you are one.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Everybody is right there is no wrong but the annoying thing happens to be that the guy is only justifying things more to himself than he is to me! If he won 2 grand on a scratch card he'd be the first to go buy a decent push rod.
When circumstances change with some people so do their views. As long as you're having plenty of smiles whilst doing the miles that's the main thing.

Top Bottom